1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First primary tutoring job! Any tips on where I should start? What I should take?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by MisterFlibble, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Depending on the school they go to they may not be familiar with "up levelling" sentences.
    I tend to do some form of maths assessment activity - but in a way where I work alongside the child not as a formal test (I just note down things that crop up as we go along as a starting point for a plan of work - and I explain to the kids that "I'm just making a list of stuff we can work on"). With writing - I tend to use a visual prompt of some kind so they've got a hook to pin their writing onto and it doesn't end up being an hour of them struggling to get an idea going (the ones I tend to use are the comic-strip style stories from Primary Resources) - looking at where they're at in terms of sentence structure, vocab, punctuation and the like. I keep it very informal, very light and bubbly and a lot of it is just building a rapport and getting past that "who are you" scepticism in addition to finding a starting point to go from.

2. IFF

IFF New commenter

Thank you very much to both of you! This really helps. I'm really looking forward to it so want to be as prepared and as professional as possible!
    Can I ask, do you chanrge for the first consultation?

Thanks again!

3. For me, it depends...
    If this is a student I don't already know, or that doesn't know me, and is likely to be a longish term arrangement, then I have usually said that the first session is a free "getting to know you" session - mostly for us to discuss what they might want or need to work on, and it might be a bit shorter than usual sessions because by definition I haven't been able to plan or prepare anything targetted to their needs. (I bring along a selection of resources anyway and sometimes they turn out to be suitable - but that is a bonus)
    I'll also usually tell the student that it is an opportunity for them to find out if they can understand the way I explain things, can cope with my sense of humour and like the way I work. (Of course, that gives me a let out if I really don't think I can get on with the student - but I've never needed to use this yet!)
    On a few occasions I have tutored a student for a lesson or two running up to a test or exam, having already established what they need most help with, and on those occasions I can prepare in advance and we get straight onto the tutoring, in which case I do charge.
    Hope this helps to give you some ideas on reasons for each option!
    Liz

4. IFF

IFF New commenter

Thanks everyone!
    I decided not to charge for the first consultation. So far so good anyway!

Thank you all again for your advice!

Iff