1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Placement ! Piercings?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rjaneh, Jan 8, 2019.

1. rjaneh

rjaneh New commenter

I am due to go on my first school placement soon, and was interested to know what your school policies are on things such as tattoos and piercings for teachers?

Also, does your school have any other quirky rules?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Currently, any number of ear piercings are fine, we also have one teacher with a small and discreet nose piercing. Tattoos also not a problem. But, with our previous HT, ear piercings were ok as long as earrings were stud style; no other piercings to be worn and no tattoos could ever be visible. Other than that, our only rule is 'smart casual' dress and no denim.

3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

All tattoos have to be covered, no matter how small. Ear piercings are fine but other piercings are not.

4. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

Probably best to keep tattoos covered where possible and keep piercings discreet. Ears and noses are usually fine but eyebrows, lips etc are perhaps best removed.

5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Ask to see individual schools' policy. Each school varies greatly, for instance my HT has pink hair (PINK pink) but at my last school even open toed shoes were not seen as professions.

6. rjaneh

rjaneh New commenter

Thanks for your reply, do you know what policy I would need to look at?

7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Ask for the "staff handbook" or "code of conduct" and you'll be fine. The office staff should be able to help you. If not, request it from your mentor/class teacher/line manager.