1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

first placement grade

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Stephers, May 26, 2011.

1. I've never posted on here before, but am feeling very miserable and wondered if anyone could help.
    I am finishing my first placement tomorrow (i'm doing my PGCE over two years), and my mentor wrote my report yesterday. I have been graded as satisfactory and wondered if I should be worried. I have loved being in the class and the teaching so don't have concerns about carrying on the course (i'm changing career) but am i going to get a job if i'm only graded as satisfactory? Do prospective employers ask for your first placement grade?
    My mentor went away for a week during my placement so I didn't get any feedback then and I feel this really impacted my progress, also she keeps banging on about ofsted and how she doesn't think any first placement student should get above satisfactory, so i'm not sure how much chance I ever had of getting good!
    I suppose what i'm asking is, should I be having a stress about only getting satisfactory for my first placement or should I chill out?
    Thanks.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Chill out for sure! You have two more and so will improve no end anyway. No-one except your mentor at your second placement will ever ask you.

3. I really hate it when tutors have the attitude that students on their first placement should only get a satisfactory. In my first week of one placement, I was given a satisfactory/ good because "I can't give you a good in your first week". I understand that we need room for progression, but surely if we are working at a higher level, we should be recognised for that!
    As everyone else has said, don't worry about it too much. If anything, it has given you greater room for progression on your next placement. Just take your feedback on board, work on it for your next placement and get a good grade next time.