1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First pd day as new head

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by sarahroberts2, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Some really good advice here in my view . Remember the three wise monkeys - see all , hear all say nowt . Dont judge listen and take notes :)

2. I am a relatively new head - don't go in on the first day with the vision thing - you don't even know the school yet and so can't create a vision for it!

I did a joint day at the beginning of my second year - once I knew the school and staff. This really helped us plan for the next 3 years, looking at strengths and areas for development, but all based around team work.

I like the photo idea above, just make sure all the cameras work first!

Good Luck

B

3. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Can I join in as I have been drafted in to do it for the foreseeable/till someone who wants it turns up!

4. weirside

weirside New commenter

LOL u can join the madness with the rest of us !!

5. Me too! I would be v. interested in joining a 'New Heads' group!

6. bed

bed New commenter

Many thanks for all that! Great advice, gratefully received.

I shall certainly pack away the VnA stuff and not bother with it.

I had already planned to provide nice things to eat etc

Many fingers crossed.

Bed

7. weirside

weirside New commenter

How did it go?

8. bed

bed New commenter

OK I think.

Did basic info meeting: diary dates etc, (took forEVER), and outlined a couple of priorities for school improvement then sent everyone off to get school tidied up and looking right for new start.

Spent lots of time chatting with people, teachers and TAs, got round everyone at least once, was very clear about what I wanted for the start of term and how I wanted it look and feel.

And as a direct result of those informal chats, and looking listening and absorbing, I've begun to formulate what I really want on the Sch Imp plan.

As a teaching head tho (0.6) it's a tricky thing balancing the two and making sure that what goes on in my classroom is a high enough standard.

Only week one tho, I'll get there.

Everyone else alive?

bed

9. bed

bed New commenter

PS I'm SO glad I didn't do the vision thing!

Excellent piece of advice!

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Good to hear it!

11. weirside

weirside New commenter

Yes still alive!!

Spent time as whole staff discussing highlights of school and things the would change.

Allowed for a number of quick wins!

Also gave fascinating insight into staff dynamics.

12. kathrynburns

kathrynburns New commenter

I’m in the same boat. I was dreading doing vision etc I was going to do planning time and classroom time... chatting to everyone, getting to know people- making sure all reassured and relaxed.