1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First one

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Caramel2308, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

First case of covid in our school today. Made me a little anxious but the child is not known to me although it feels quite close to home. I have been very fortunate up until now to have known no one who is even remotely connected to me who has had covid although I do know a few people who have had symptoms only to have a negative test (including staff and children in school). Here's hoping we will be able to eventually see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Corvuscorax20, nizebaby and nomad like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Ditto here

Corvuscorax20 and nomad like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Just to point out that 'Like' means to acknowledge and sympathise.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No hopes for the kid with Covid? Not even a token Get Well Soon thought?

colpee likes this.
  5. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

I am sure the OP has hopes for the kid. But that isn't what this thread is about

6. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

We had one into isolation last week after family member tested positive. We were told that the boy himself had tested negative.
    Now we have half a dozen at home, and since we haven't been assured that they tested negative, it's more than possible that they are positive and the school just doesn't want to talk about it. Word will out, form time in the morning is the best time to pick up tihis kind of news.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

The 'kid with covid' is fine. As reported constantly, children don't get very sick and this child has a very mild case of it. Only tested because they couldn't attend school until they had done so. To assume that I wouldn't care about a child who was ill would mean that you clearly don't know me. But then, why would you!

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I can fully understand why you are anxious @Caramel2308 . Fingers crossed that you ( and Peakster) don't suffer as a result of the positive cases.

9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I know one who had a negative test, remained ill, retested and positive! Amazes me you have your first, some schools are half shut here! At least 2 year groups out.
    Admittedly, you have to have parents bothered enough to test them, and to fight to get a test-most people I know had to try dozens of times before they got one. And even then, some people get ones they can't register due to it not accepting the barcode etc. Also, as many children are asymptomatic, their parents can't get them tested, even if they spent the whole week next to a child who has tested positive.
    I hope you're ok. What worries me is that the people who are ok will then act as if it's no big deal-until someone they love isn't ok-sadly we're seeing this too much.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

It is now estimated that one in two hundred people have Covid. On that basis you would expect several cases in any large secondary school, but the majority may be asymptomatic.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It's not evenly spread though. More cases in care homes and hospitals, and a lot more in some areas than others. Where there is one case there are probably more.

12. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

If many school children have it asymptomatically, if and when it is passed to adults then they won’t be asymptomatic. However, conveniently these carriers will not appear in any statistics, therefore perpetuating the lie that very few schoolchildren have it so schools can continue to stay open and the cycle continues. Worrying thoughts.

Sally006 likes this.