1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First observation

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by saturday1234, Oct 8, 2015.

1. saturday1234

saturday1234 New commenter

Hi there I'm an NQT in Reception and have my first observation coming up in a couple of weeks, for Literacy. Our topic is "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" and it will be the last day of it. My mind is completely blank- the teacher next door is re-creating the story with children with another animal, creating their own story with describing words/actions then setting up a hunt for them to go on. I want mine to be as exciting/physical as this too! I don't really want to do a sitting at a table and writing task at this stage as it is still very early and most children can only recognise initial sounds when writing and it's just a bit boring.

Any ideas or advice would be very much appreciated!

2. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

There is a great action video song on youtube by the learning station for Going on a bear hunt. My kids love it. For the observation what is wrong with doing something similar to your colleague next door if you like the idea!? Or you could try Pie Corbett's method of retelling the story using actions ... build up over several days ... start with retelling the story as a class drawing each part on a large piece of paper. I would start day one just retelling the start, then the next day add the next bit and continue till it's all done. Have children decide on actions and keep the language fairly simple. Each day practise each part until you can all retell the story using the drawn story map and actions. They could then draw their own story maps for your observation in a guided group, using the story action retelling work you have done over the prior week - you could also perform to the other class.

3. saturday1234

saturday1234 New commenter

Thank you for your reply! These are great ideas but I've already done them! We started the topic last week so re-read it every day with actions, and at the end of the week made our own story maps. We have a class bear that goes home every week, so I was thinking he could "go missing" and we will go on our own bear hunt for him around school using clues children will try and read e.g. "on top" then a picture of a chair or something... could push HA children with trickier words? How does this sound? Any ways to make it more exciting or interesting?

4. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

I love that idea! Sounds really engaging! Yes push the HAs with trickier words and perhaps challenge them to think of a place to hide him and write their own clues?

5. curtism

curtism New commenter

I just did a nice lesson today with Bear Hunt - a letter arrived during registration time from our office addressed to our class from the Bear. He wrote to apologise for scaring the children away and said he just wanted to play. We had a big picture of the bear on the screen and decided he looked really sad. I then modelled writing a letter back, taking children's suggestions - come and play, we are sorry, we could make some porridge and honey, come and share our toys etc using letter shapes, initial letters and just mark making. Children then did a guided write of their own letters and envelopes and took them to the office in groups to post.
    You may have already done this?

6. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

I took my class outside for this story last year and made it very interactive. I first played the song from YouTube that was mentioned above and talked about the story with the children to make it relevant to them. Have they read it with their mummies? Have they ever hunted for anything? etc.

Once the discussion was flowing we then lined up to go on a real bear hunt. I had some of my disruptive children wearing hats and holding a child's fishing net to engage them (they were off to catch a bear, after all). I was quite lucky in that our school has a wonderful outdoor environment but it would be possible to have the children walk through the a mud trough, or a water trough and explore the senses/sounds.

I split my class in half and had the LA/ LA - MA with my TA and the HA / HA-MA with myself. When we walked over the mud trough we used lots of child led description - it feels squishy. It feels sticky etc and on the iPad I then recorded the children repeating the line from the story - however adding their own description (instead of swishy swashy it became splashy, squelchy). My TA did the same with an ipad. It was very interactive, engaging and had the children both retelling the story, showing familiarity with it and making the story real to them. They weren't just walking around for an imaginary bear, they were experiencing the senses.

At the end of the lesson I plugged the ipad in and we watched the story back - but this time it was the children themselves retelling the story with their own descriptions on the IWB and they LOVED it.

Best of luck, you'll do fine!