1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First obs failure

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by anon2047, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I suppose I'm having a whine! I have just had my first obs and was told I am satisfactory becau the students didn't learn anything and !'m devastated. I do not have any feedback apart from that. I worked so hard and have evidence to prove progression an the fact that the learning objectives were met, and the students wrote down what they learnt as well.

If they haven't learnt anything, then obviously I cannot teach! I do not know what I have to do to change this. No one else seems to teach the way I do, it is just a case of get on with it and I realise I have loads to learn, I just feel that I have now chosen the wrong profession.

Suggestions for how I can improve would be most welcome,
    Jaime

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

But you're leaving at the end of term with a new job to go to! Don't worry about it. One bed lesson doesn't make a bad teacher. Get it all clear in your head and arrange to meet the observer to discuss and agree targets for improvement.

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

It was your first obs and it wasn't perfect? Well, what do you expect?

You're still on a steep learning curve. What matters is how you act on any advice given and show you're trying to improve. Feeling like a failure isn't going to help.

Ask for more support if you're worried, although I wouldn't be. My first NQT obs was satisfactory and then Ofsted came in six months later and I was outstanding.

4. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

I thought that if the children didn't learn anything, the lesson is deemed to be inadequate, not satisfactory.
    ...sorry, just realised that Modepodge said the same thing.

5. Please remember that this is a snapshot of all your work and not a summation of everything you do. Yes sometimes lessons do not go well, in induction I contend that nobody should be judged just on lesson observations. You must insist on written fedback with positive points and areas for improvement. Only then can you see objectively what's going on - all humans (well the vast majority) tend to cling on to the negative and ignore all the positive. When I read evaluations of my teaching, even if 50 students say it was great - if just one says less than good I focus on that and forget the rest - its human nature - get a balanced view and then look to remedy the negative areas in time. Ask for advice from the observer - ask to observe that person teach so they can exemplify what they mean and what they would do.
    The Sage

6. Hi, Thanks for the reply. Too true, i do focus on the negative! I'm still waiting for my feedback and have observed the observer teaching...emphasis on the dot dot dot!

7. Hi,
    Thanks for the reply!
    I am still waiting for my feedback despite chasing it up - I have also observed my observer teaching... Emphasis on the dot dot dot!

8. Hi Jamie, can you use this observation productively and as a learning curb? Remembering that it's done, it's finished and you can't change the grade. In my school we sit down (sometimes daily) with our students each time giving small smart targets and oral feedback. Obviously you have to evaluate your own lesson against the standards and have a proforma to show what makes a good lesson. But could you go through this with the class teacher rather than wait for your mentor to give feedback? PS Was it that the children didn't learn anything or was it the challenge aspect of the lesson? As an inadequate this usually means little or inappropriate interaction with the children, lack of pace and differentiation, plus the pitch is incorrect.