1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First NQT two terms at new school for Jan - July 2011 (@ £17,270.40)

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ERU, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ERU

ERU New commenter

Hi all,
    I've just started my first NQT term at a new school and got my first paycheck. It clearly states on the paycheck that my Basic Annual Salary is £17,270.40 and tax code is 647L. This boils down to a basic pay of £1,439.20 (or £1,079.03 'take home' after tax) for this months work.
    My contract runs to the summer, although the school seems to be fully prepared to employ me in the coming Sept if my first two terms go ok ...
    I was originally employed on a .5 contract that has now been extended to a full time/week contract. I'm also fully aware that a NQT should be on the M1 payspine of about £21k.
    I wanted some advice before ringing the LEA and consulting the sch office about the varied difference. Can anyone explain what might be happening here? Am I on some sort of .5 contract? Or is the smaller figure due to not working the summer holidays? Ot something obvious i'm missing?
    Cheers - a confused poster!

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

That looks like exactly 80% of the correct salary.
    I'd just pop into your school office and ask if they can make sense of it for you.