1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First non-teaching interview

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by crazycatloveruk, Jan 14, 2019.

1. crazycatloveruk

crazycatloveruk New commenter

Hi
    I left teaching at the end of last year, Sadly I was off for the last couple of months of the year with WRS. This week I have my first non teaching interview and just wondered if you lovely people could give me some advice.
    A typical interview question is usually 'Why did you leave your last job? ' How can I diplomatically say teaching is not for me any more without sounding like I am allergic to hard work? LOL

The other question that may come up if I am successful is a medical questionnaire- what reasons have people given for being off and has it been okay with employers? - (Non Teaching) Up until this point I have had a career of excellent attendance and no issues.

Thanks

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

First let me say, good luck!

What type of job is it you are going for?

thekillers1 and mothergoose2013 like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Just be honest.

thekillers1 and mothergoose2013 like this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Shedman's job interview advice:
    • Research the employers business and the role you are applying for so you know what you're talking about
    • Match the skills you acquired as a teacher to the perceived skills that you think will be required in your new job
    • Prepare answers with examples for questions you may be asked: Are you a team player? What responsibilities have you had? How do you relate to colleagues? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? etc go to this website https://www.fish4.co.uk/career-advice/interview-questions-answers-expert-advice/ and others like it. Type 'preparing for interview' into google for lots of advice.
    • You will be asked about why you're leaving your previous job. Tell the truth but put a positive spin on it. I worked for … years and was responsible for ….. and I reached the level of …. I was working … hours per week but I didn't feel that I had enough time to reflect upon my practice, try new techniques, develop professionally (mention anything that you think would impress them and show yourself to be someone who really wants to be getting to grips with things rather than being on the back foot all the time) and so I have reconsidered my work plans and would like further my career in an environment where I can develop new skills/reflect on improving my work/apply and expand my current skills and apply them to what ever the company does.
    • Admit you were unwell with WRS but you realised what was happening and that a change was required.
    • Focus on the idea that you want to move your career forward, learn something new, develop as a professional rather than just wanting to get out of teaching.
    • Practice answering interview questions with your partner or a friend or even yourself. Record your self on your phone, tablet or laptop and see how you come across. Ask yourself 'Would I employ this person?'
    • Be prepared to talk about your hobbies, interests, sports and things you do outside of work
    • Adopt a professional air, stand upright, be smart, look your interviewers in the eye, don't slouch, be positive and forthright.
    • Don't be a mere answerer of questions but try to get the interview onto ground that you can speak about with authority e.g. Your management experience I was … where I was responsible for... I organised training etc … I developed …. and if you have produced some documents like a scheme of work, policies, departmental handbook etc have a copy in you bag that you can pull out at an appropriate juncture and say, 'This is the …. I produced as part of my role as … and shows the planning, organisation, management etc I have previously done.
    I could go but it's getting near the time when I go for my swim (I'm retired - Yippee!) and other colleagues may make other suggestions. I'm sure you were familiar with much of this anyway but there might be a useful tip here and there. What has gone on in the past you can do little about but all the solid, worthwhile work you did as a teacher counts more than the fact that you had to have a couple of months off when it all became too much. Focus on the future and what you can bring to a prospective new employer rather than what is in the past and cannot be changed.

Good Luck!

5. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

Being honest worked for me. I did manage to turn it into a positive by showing that the experience had made me more self-aware and that I had taken more responsibility for my own well-being by prioritising my health and work-life balance.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Employers both welcome and respect honesty in a future employee.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"When I started teaching I embarked on the task with dedication, and i feel I worked extremely well with my remit. I would now like to share the skills I have developed and branch out into an area where you just don't get sh@t on left right and centre, because I'm worth it, and because you could probably do with somebody who always goes the extra mile"
    or something like that, obviously.

FollyFairy and Shedman like this.
  8. occold25

occold25 New commenter

When I left teaching last summer, I simply said that it was because I was seeking a better work-life balance (spend more time with close family members) - no-one blinked an eye lid!

9. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Unlike future senior leaders...!

Shedman and mothergoose2013 like this.
  10. rsg2016

rsg2016 New commenter

I personally am off with WRS and hoping to jump ship. I think I will be honest, there is enough press about teachers and stress. For me, this isn't my first sickness absence so I think I would just say, I am loyal, I gave it my best shot but it was too much. However, I would state that prior to absence, I had a clear record.

agathamorse likes this.