1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First morning back...What do you do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by scoppen, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Just sat down to begin the inevitable task of planning that very first morning back!
    Thought we could perhaps share some ideas regarding what we all do to settle children into their new year, new classroom etc.
    I am in Year 6 and would appreciate any activity ideas for those first few, sometimes awkward hours!
    Many thanks!

2. Hi all,
    Just sat down to begin the inevitable task of planning that very first morning back!
    Thought we could perhaps share some ideas regarding what we all do to settle children into their new year, new classroom etc.
    I am in Year 6 and would appreciate any activity ideas for those first few, sometimes awkward hours!
    Many thanks!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you scroll back over the past few weeks or do a quick search on this forum , you'll find this has cropped up quite a bit in different guises.
    Short answer; with year 6s straight into work.
    A few pieces of work for you to assess their levels, they won't be operating so well after the holidays and then see which gaps you've got to plug over the next few weeks.
    afternoon is the time to do those Behaviour/getting rues straight ideas as they'll be tired after the morning's work and this would be a good use of that session.
    Happy hunting!

4. I have just spotted a few chats very similar so thank you!

And thank you for your helpful suggestion- I definitely agree!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We are doing discussion of behaviour needed for learning in the classroom. No point starting a lesson until they know how they need to behave.

Assembly at some point.

Where things go and how we put them away/get them out/etc.

Discuss and then write a short account of holidays (for writing assessment).

PSHCE of how we need to be in order to be the best class in the school and what people want to see, etc.

6. I always start with a few games. Couple of get to know you name type games. Then a find someone who.... game where they find people who went to cinemea etc in holidays. Sort themselves into various lines based on alphabet, birthdays etc
    Rules then write them out as handwriting excersise.
    Label books
    Write out a timetable.
    All about me sheet for a quick display.
    Write a letter to themselves about what they want to acheive in the year. Open last day. really good fun
    hope this helps

7. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

We had several transition sessions at the end of last term so we've already covered rules etc. Going straight into work with my year 6. Will be doing this summers SATs papers 2nd week back to give their brains time to get back into gear so straight into normal work.