1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Lessons - how should I go about it??

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by glross, Aug 19, 2011.

1. HI all,

I want to start planning my first lessons with pupils in my new school ready for starting back in Sept BUT I don't seem to have any good ideas about how to go about it, I can just see myself now stood in front of all those new faces thinking 'Oh dear, what was it I needed to do today?!'. I want to do something a little more interesting than the usual 'here are my classroom rules.... blah blah.' My school coordinator last year said she used to show pupils a picture of a classroom and ask them all the ways they could jeopardise it but is this too risqué??

any ideas greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
    :)

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Leaving aside the issue that you're a trained, brand new, supposedly raring to go and full of ideas teacher - you give no indication of what or who you're teaching (primary? Y1-6? Secondary? Which subject/s?), which might assist those kinder than me who might be inclined to help you.
    My best advice - hit the real teaching as soon as possible. Do not faff about doing 'getting to know you' or 'fun' activities, because you need to set your stall out as a serious, not-to-be-messed-with teacher whose main aim is to get the class to learn.
    So - if you're primary, look at the data the children have come up with, look at the NC orders, any school information about topics, etc and plan out your first half term and the first week's lessons.
    If you're secondary - schemes of work, data for the classes you're teaching - and plan as above.