1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First lessons back after Christmas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by flickaz, Dec 23, 2010.

1. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I'll be doing the first 3 days (we go back on Wednesday) revising some basic VCOP before starting the new unit on the Monday. I teach year 6 btw.

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I teachYear 4 and we'll be going straight into ordinary lessons. No time to waste, especially since so many days before Christmas were non-days due to Christmas performances and snow.

3. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

I always do something on Kings because of Epiphany. For literacy, I'm going to look at camels and get them to write a simple report hopefully thinking a little bit about adaptation. Good opportunity to sing Alice the camel! Will also do thank you letters for present, either real or make up ones from Mary to the kings, perhaps including ref to what the presents mean for the brighter children. Maths will be the 3x table (3 kings, 1 present each; 3 kings, 2 presents each etc) Thinking about doing something on constellations too - may be make crowns and telescopes if I can collect enough toilet roll tubes - hmm could do some drama about their journey (based on The journey of the Magi) and some imaginative writing about what they saw. This is for a year 2/3 class.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends; if you've got some extension activities to the unit you began before Christmas.
    I'd done 'Suspense' in stories, so it would lead well into them writing a description of their suspense on Christmas/ New Year's Eve and give them a chance to talk about their Christmases, which often children like to do. But you could do lots of other units incorporating the genre you've just finished revision + chance to talk/discuss their experiences.

5. ooh - i am so lucky - i take maths gat classes and we start each term with a 'games day'
    and my general gat classes had a christmas quiz to do - so sorting through answers