1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First lesson routine...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Teaching_Tricks, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Teaching_Tricks

Teaching_Tricks Occasional commenter

Seem to be a few threads about this... so this is by no means the only routine, just an example....
    • Seating plan - visible (they MUST sit in it!)
    • Exercise books on desks - on board what to put on them
    • Register
    • Introduce yourself
    • Dept expectations
    • Your expectations/rules
    • Teach something
    • Tasks on what you taught
    • Homework
    • Plenary
    • And deal with ANY behaviour issues!
    Keep it clean, sharp, focussed, to the point, establishing yourself as the teacher in charge in the room.

2. g2016

g2016 New commenter

Sounds pretty good to me :) I'm starting a new role abroad next week, so I'll jot this own down :) It's quite exciting and I'd be afraid of losing my "flow", so this will definitely help!

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

A variation that I have used is have the seating plan in your hand, once they are in the room, call out names and seat them. This takes care of the registaer as well, but you will need to fill it in once they are working. i tend not to spend a huge amount of time on expectations, prefer to demonstrate them as they crop up. Being organised, or appearing to be, sets the tone. If you haven't had chance to put books on the desk (much better) get a couple of them to do it.

Teaching_Tricks likes this.
  4. sparkledust21

sparkledust21 New commenter

also allow students to introduce who they are through fun activities. While it is good to introduce yourself, also give them the opportunity to feel important as well.

5. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

I like to get the students to do a "hopes and dreams" activity. Getting an idea of what they want to do e.g. job, with their life, spare time, things they would like to experience... it's important to tap into their motivation which I can do by lifting any exercise book.