1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Lesson ideas

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Vicki197, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Vicki197

Vicki197 New commenter

So I've just completed my NQT and I'm heading into my full RQT timetable and I honestly don't quite know how to approach my first lessons this year. Last year we had to go over the department expectations (which I will do again) along with my expectations but I'm not sure where to go from there. On advice from my mentors and tutors in ITT I decided to set class rules as a group and to be honest it blew up in my face so I really don't fancy trying that route again...but I just don't know what to do! I'm a Maths teacher but I don't really want to go in with traditional teaching in the first lesson if I can help it. I think we're being given some problem solving activities to do with our year 7s as they won't be setted but I'm struggling to know how to approach my new year 8 (both top sets) and 9 (bottom set) classes. Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

questionsandanswers likes this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why not?
    There's no point in setting up expectations for children if the rest of the lesson isn't going to be representative of other lessons throughout the year. You're just undermining yourself.

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I remember Theo saying that you should introduce yourself and then start teaching!
    Why not?

minnie me and wanet like this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Why not indeed. Let them know your expectations and then show them what to expect in future Maths lessons. I would do the same with Year 7. They will settle faster of you get them into the routine as fast as possible.

digoryvenn likes this.
  5. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

I'm an RQT this year too (teaching science) and I'm planning to spend no more than ten minutes on introductions and expectations.

After that, I'm starting formal teaching straight away as I want to get my classes settled down and working asap.

The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is not knowing the classes so making sure I have enough for them to do without overloading them!

I've planned out the first week and after that it will be easier.

6. lesley.fearn

lesley.fearn New commenter

Put them in groups and ask them to write lists on why they like or dislike maths. Why they think it is important to learn and why it might not be :)

7. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

if you did that in my school you'd be setting yourself up for anarchy!
    I would certainly start teaching first lesson, but perhaps with a slightly open ended "number puzzle" type activity so that you can gauge their level of thinking, discussion etc

Teaching_Tricks and DYNAMO67 like this.
  8. strawbs

9. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Agree with others, get any admin done (seat them and give out books etc) then start teaching.

minnie me likes this.
  10. digoryvenn

Strawbs, would you really use that nrich problem for bottom set 9? Do you mean yr 9?
    I would use that problem for year 3 and 4 in primary school. I think some of our bright year 2 pupils could do it if you gave the clues one at a time.

11. strawbs

As a starter/intro activity, yes I would - our bottom sets y9 are working at mostly L3 and moving to L4 - I guess it depends on what your bottom sets are like!

12. digoryvenn

That's true. I have never worked in a secondary school so I should not be really commenting.

13. strawbs

and I've never worked in primary! There is a massive range in ability in most "standard" comprehensives. Our y9 range from easily achieving level 8 to those working at level 3 (and below - we have one or two who cannot reliably count beyond 20 or so)

14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Bottom set - cringe .Lower attaining - yes.

15. Flere-Imsaho

Are you objecting to the terminology?

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

17. Flere-Imsaho

But you think defining children as "lower attaining" is acceptable? Where's the ambition, the chance for progress?

18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah yes ' bottom ' has such a better / more inspirational connotation than the other ' label ' which at least assumes attainment

19. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am going to simply repeat others. Why wouldn't you? and i am genuinely asking that as a question @Vicki197 I am interested to hear your views on this. I see no reason why, once you have given out books and admin you wouldn't?

absolutely mad. Really angers me when idiots who haven't taught for god knows how long xome up with rubbish like this. Ideas that were probably published by some university bod who also has never taught. On paper it sounds great, in practice it just ridiculous. You are the teacher. YOU TELL THEM what to do. If they are accepting, great. If not, tough.

Once sat down in my seating plan I start with rules of my classroom. It is more presentation and organisation though than behaviour. I go over what will be taught and they write it down. Clear for all to see that way what we expect. I then do a half lesson of teaching. Please don't get off on the wrong foot by doing something unrelated to what they will learn.

wanet and Teaching_Tricks like this.
  20. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am sorry, I struggle to see any point in this whatsoever. All it has the potential to do is to get your first lesson- the most important one- off on a wrong foot. Please OP or the person who has written the comment, forget this.