1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Lesson Activity

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sgmt2006, Aug 17, 2011.

1. I am hoping for some suggestions from all you lovely people.
    I am planning an activity for my first lessons with all my classes which not only includes some Maths but also sets out ground rules on presentation (just to clarify I am only interested in the presentation rules which might also help in exam conditions).
    Ideally I would like an activity/topic for each level and/or grade at KS3 & 4.
    So my question is what would be your suggestions for topics/activities?
    Many Thanks in advance
    SGMT

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Any takers - while your doing this for the3 OP could you please also write all my lesson plans for all of my classes for the whole year?

3. Hi SGMT. I would try to minimise the time you spend on "First Lesson Stuff" (getting the kids in to the seating plan, outlining your expectations and getting the students to organise their books/files). Then get on with their first topic. I believe this sends out a clear message - we're here to learn maths. If you've identified written communication as a priority with all of your students why not make that an element of the success criteria? Give us some detail on the classes and topics of your first day's lessons and you'll get more useful advice.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Hand out text books which also lets you know who is absent.
    Say hello, tell them what topic you are going to start and get on with it. Don't waste time on things that can be done properly once the class knows that you mean business. What you are thinking of doing sounds suspiciously like avoiding teaching.
    One of the best pieces of advice I have ever had on teaching was from a senior teacher at my first school. She told me that she starts and finishes the year exactly how she spends the rest of it: by working. There are no honeymoon periods, no games at the end of term and there is no time wasted.

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I give mine a test in their first lesson, on basic skills (e.g. 2 questions on each of the 4 rules), so that I can see what they have remembered/forgotten from the previous year. For older children it could be on algebra skills if they are past bog standard 4 rules stuff. I repeat the same test at the end of the year with them so that they can see the progress that they have made (hopefully!)

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

If you want to make the presentation point then one way to do it would be sets of completed questions for the class to mark. Which are easiest to mark? Which pick up method marks and why?
    An initial activity I like is to draw a table up with headings: Can do in my head/Can do with working out/Don't know where to start. Then I put a number of questions on the board for the topic we are about to start. The class copy the table and write the questions under the relevant heading. If any finish then they can start doing the questions in the first 2 columns. It's a nice way to assess the level of the class and to identify any misconceptions.