1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First lawn mow of the year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 31, 2019.

?

When do you mow your lawn?

1. Further back than a month

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Within the last month

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Within the last fortnight

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. This weekend

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. Some point in the next fortnight

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. Some point in the next month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. May onwards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I/We don't have a lawn

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Mow the lawn? Huh?

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Going to need to buy some seed and lawn feed tomorrow...

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Artificial lawns are an abomination, they're right up there with nets to stop birds nesting, tofu and rice cakes.

smoothnewt likes this.
  3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I've really enjoyed watching the female blackbird dancing across our lawn and gathering a beakful of insects on a regular basis over the last few days. She is obviously feeding some young not too far away. She would have no luck on artificial turf. :(

We have a wide, paved patio area outside the back door. Over the years the cement which sealed the gaps between the slabs has broken away. Whilst this is a pain to some extent, as I have to scrape out the weeds which grow with my trusty metal scraper, it does mean that there is natural drainage - which is a boon. And even better, the same blackbird is adept at pecking at the soil between the cracks to unearth a good supply of insects and small worms.

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

I've been picking the dandelions off my grass this week. Not sure there's much poit but it feels good.

5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

No, no, no! No more gardening today for me. I'm only supposed to be starting tomorrow and I've already been out there for the last four long mornings. I escaped to town but it was just plants, Tomorite, Antstop, compost. No chocolate! Thank god I'm not married. I know what it's like. You just sit down for a minute and it's orders being barked at you.

6. Mangleworzle

You need a daisy grubber.

[​IMG]
    I go round with mine digging up the dandelion plants when they show themselves by producing a flower, not so much digging actually as popping them up, it's very satisfying. You can use it on daisies too but I like those.

lanokia likes this.
  7. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Nearly as bad as concrete, slabs, blocks, decking and fences rather than hedges.

8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I don’t think it’s only being married that stops you relaxing. As soon as I sit down I usually get ‘Mum can you just give me a lift to......’

9. Jude Fawley

Sorry, I forgot about kids. This is because I don't have any. It's a joyous life with no instruction.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I've just mowed the lawn for the third time this year, and annoyingly ran out of petrol just before I finished. Which got me thinking, how will my mower be powered in the future? Our garden is very long so a cable is possible but not really feasible for me, as I'd cut through it as soon as I got started. Are there battery mowers? Our lawn is a tough one to cut, what with the hen holes and the trees and the unevenness. Would an electric mower be powerful enough? Our mower's good for a few years but eventually we'll need another and I'm sure petrol won't be an option by then.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Your neighbours sound mad. I like it when the lawn dries out. What insane person would water it so it grew and needed more cutting?! I sometimes feel that I'm very out of synch with other people!

12. Mangleworzle

It's not you, it's definitely them. For the last week or more, they've had the sprinkler going for an hour or more every evening, moving it around the garden each day.

13. Jude Fawley

Manana!

I've done enough for today. Clothes washed and drying, dinner made, breakfast for tomorrow laid out, showered etc, loads of admin done, shopping list for tomorrow done, loads of work stuff ready to go in the car.

Outdoors: Although I haven't yet done my hanging baskets, they are hanging up all cleaned and the supports cleaned. I've got the black plastic liner material, got the enriched compost, got the newspaper for retaining moisture, got the plants and the ivy (watered). Moved loads of gravel and levelled some land for seeding. Paint stripped a tall pine chair.

I would say that if I could have six months on my own at home I could pull this place and the garden round to a level of perfection I'd be happy with.

My neighbour has been off work since last Wednesday and, now his girlfriend is here, they're out all the time. Gadding about every day and at night as well!

Yesterday, he said I was the most industrious person he knows. His girlfriend thought I was a lazy hippy because I smoke and I don't drink but I think even she can see the chilled out life doesn't mean you have to live in chaos.

I'm starting to think I'm really competitive. It's bizarre, but then I realise that it's more about a feeling I'll be judged if I don't have everything in order.

lanokia likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Bought seed... laid it and watered it...

And waged an ongoing war on the dandelions!

Got a bucketful of the blighters!

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Tut. The neighbour wants to rip out all the 8 foot high beech hedging and erect a 6ft fence! He cut his side back to the bone in February, and it's left great big gaps, severely impacting on privacy!

His wife has just died, and he's not thinking straight. Anyway, I had a long chat with him, this morning, The hedge is showing signs of recovery, so we're going to watch and wait. He thinks a fence will be much lower maintenance. It will. But it'll be stark, to say the least.

It's a party hedge, but he's offered to pay for much of the work and panels.

We'll see. He might change his mind. Or he could take out the hedging just on his side, and erect fence panels, leaving us with some greenery.

We musn't fall out about it.

16. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I've just done the third mowing as rain is expected.

17. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

The grass at the back of my house really needs doing. The front, I can get away with for a bit longer as I park the car on it which inhibits the growth so its only really long around the edges.

I am hoping to find time to do both front and back this weekend, though.

18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I always use black bin bags for my hanging baskets. Put the basket inside the bag and them tuck up the excess into the basket making sure there is no seam or loose bits on the outside and then when you put the compost in it keeps the outside nice and tight. With plants planted in the sides or trailing plants you can't really see the plastic. Saves a lot of money on proper liners but you need to put some holes in the plastic a little way up the sides to ensure drainage of excess water.

19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

If you have seen the forecast, the consequence of that will be the lawn being a foot higher by this time next week.

20. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Not just greenery, The hedge will lower CO2 and contribute O2. It is time the trend to remove plants was stopped.