1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First lawn mow of the year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 31, 2019.

?

When do you mow your lawn?

1. Further back than a month

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Within the last month

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Within the last fortnight

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. This weekend

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. Some point in the next fortnight

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. Some point in the next month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. May onwards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I/We don't have a lawn

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Mow the lawn? Huh?

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

No lawn but lots of shrubs that need to be kept in check. Mr PC is locked in mortal combat most weekends with a pyracantha that gets too big for its boots.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

It's beautiful here!

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Same here... If we get home early enough I might do the lawn today.

I've been abandoned as they've gone cake hunting.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Last weekend. Husband won’t countenance the idea of mowing it again today. It has grown a bit.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maleficent is feeling restive about our lawn but is waiting until she has recovered from a couple of ailments before getting at it.

dleaf12 likes this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Subject to the weather, it'll be the afternoon of Thursday 11th April at around 3 p.m.when I get round to mowing the lawn for the first time this season. Starting Monday 8th April I'm having a week outside on all the gardens of the properties I look after. The route brings me round to home on Thursday afternoon and I'll get the lawn mown and then the neighbours and then the track down the back of the cottages. I've stopped doing the graveyard so, on Friday I'll get back to the property where the mower lives.

The following week is four days of cleaning but not my house. That'll wait until the Easter holidays.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You'd have thought they'd have been working on self-driving mowers by now, wouldn't you? Actually, I expect they have. There'll come a time in the near future when you hear a racket wake you up on Sunday morning and curse whoever wants to be up at silly o'clock mowing their lawn, then find yourself shouting at your own mower, which you couldn't work out how to programme to get the grass cut while you're at work.

susanrk likes this.
  8. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

https://www.myrobotcenter.co.uk/en_...MIsfKY-eqs4QIVSLHtCh2blgu1EAQYAiABEgKYbvD_BwE

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well finally got it done yesterday... and slayed a vast array of dandelions as well...

Now need to repair the patches.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Gave mine its 3rd cut of the year on Friday and gave it a feed as well. Got a couple of dry patches which I hope will come back. Also raked out some moss down the shady side.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah I've got moss on one side too... I thought letting the grass grow out a bit might cause the moss to die back but it hasn't. But I raked last year and it caused bald patches.

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I bought a bucket of lawn feed but it's too dry to use, we've got cracks already, rain is forecast at the end of the week (like it has been for about the last month but hasn't happened) so I'll be out to scatter it then. Our neighbour cut a load of big trees down, so we now have loads more light, especially in the mossy area, I'm hoping that and the feed will encourage the grass instead.

13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Gardener did it last Tuesday.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I got the lawnmower fixed and Maleficent was able to get it into action last weekend.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Will this be another year of the bustle counties complaining about hosepipe bans?

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It looks like it's heading that way. We have a water meter and I use rainwater from our big butts (titter), our next door neighbours don't have a water meter and seem to be afflicted by the rapture of the sprinkler which they have going at the drop of a hat. I think March this year was the earliest I've heard it in action.

17. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I thought Rac’s post said ‘Maleficent is feeling festive about our lawn’ and she had maybe decorated it with some fake snow and a couple of reindeer. Till I went back and read it again.

racroesus likes this.
  18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

We don't have lawns. Hard landscaping and decking in the back garden, with shrubs, trees, climbers and pots. Front garden is soil with lots of shrubs, bushes and perennials.

I quite miss a lawn.

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I brushed my astroturf today. That's me done until Autumn :D

20. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

My friend hoovers her artificial lawn.

ilovesooty and bombaysapphire like this.