1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First lawn mow of the year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 31, 2019.

?

When do you mow your lawn?

1. Further back than a month

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Within the last month

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Within the last fortnight

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. This weekend

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. Some point in the next fortnight

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. Some point in the next month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. May onwards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I/We don't have a lawn

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Mow the lawn? Huh?

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When do you do your first lawn mow of the year?

I was going to do it today but... plans changed. So I think maybe next weekend...

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Did my front lawn last weekend.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I gave mine a tidy-up 12th January. Its been done twice since then.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I did my second on thursday. It looks better now, looked awful after first. Ain't nature wonderful?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye the first mow is always terrible ... not looking forward to it.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Recently returfed our front lawn -@ 5 weeks ago ? so regular careful mowing from them on. We have stripes - ha ! Smart. My husband worked with / as a gardener after teaching. He has skills . Neighbour ‘s SIL did not believe he did everything himself ! Saved @£600 too . Good job !

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I intended to the first cut three weeks ago, but i had to wait a week for a new ignition col for the lawnmower to arrive. I did the first cut with the cutter high, followed a few days later, with the blades lowered. it now looks striped and presentable again.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Gardener did mine a couple of weeks ago and it definitely needs doing again!

ilovesooty and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Last weekend. Fairly long cut. I’ve been battling moss for the last three years and finally making headway. Not cutting it too short is working.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I did it on Friday. It nearly killed me. We normally leave the grass on the lawn but the first cut of the year has to be collected as it's so long. And we have a lot of grass. At least it was fairly dry so it didn't clog the mower. Our garden resembles the Somme, with all the craters the hens have dug, so I'm not too fussy what it looks like as long as the grass is shortish.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The astroturf is looking great. It always does ;):)

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Did it in February, then a couple of weeks ago.
    Never done it so early before, and it was lot easier than the first cut usually is.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Whenever it's long enough and dry enough.

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

A couple of times already and it’s had it’s spring treatment.

15. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I bought a new lawnmower last week. I was seduced by insane power (1700W) but didn't take into consideration the extra weight. Flippin' thing weighs a ton.

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'd been building up to it all week, expecting to be able to do it today after a dry and warm week, only to wake to damp grass after an overnight shower.
    :(

agathamorse likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Once before we go away on holiday in the Spring. Once before we go away on holiday in the late summer.

Makes it looks like somebody lives there. :)

agathamorse and smoothnewt like this.
  18. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Ours has been done once, a couple of weeks ago. Plan was for a second go today, but it's pouring with rain here.

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

My grass ,and the neighbours, was first mowed at the end of January,and has been mowed at least twice since.You mow according to the weather and the length of the grass.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We had some trees trimmed or cut down which made a hell of a mess, so I pushed the mower around in January and then in February to hoover up the debris, which also cut what grass growth there was then. I usually push it around in Feb or early March to tidy up more than anything as leaves and other debris seem to arrive from nowhere.

Did my first proper cut of the year yesterday, though it was only about 1/3rd of the lawn that needed cutting having got noticeably a bit shaggy, most of it was still short from previous cuts.

agathamorse likes this.