1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Job - What do I need to buy?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Studentteacher101, Feb 28, 2016.

1. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I wasn't being rude, I genuinely wondered where you got the idea from and I now understand it's common practice in the school you are at and the school your friends are at. It isn't at my school and wasn't at my placement school.
    I am an NQT so had my first classroom this year. The essentials were all there and whatever else I needed I either got from other classes or I bought and claimed back, within the provided budget of course. I definitely don't make enough money to spend it on resources and besides, it's wrong.
    Imagine joining an office and being expected to buy your own pens and notebooks.

What I would invest in though are suitable clothes and a good pair of shoes because you will be on your feet all day.

Lara mfl 05 and jarndyce like this.
  2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Could be a massive waste of your money if you don't get deployed into the year group you apparently want...

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Great to be prepared but I can't help but think you are obsessing over things which are to my mind quite trivial. You do come across as being a bit näive in your posts - prioritising things which are a nice distraction from the daily grind of the job. I think folk older and wiser have only been trying to help.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Grace_face

Grace_face New commenter

I totally understand. I have just finished my PGCE and am an NQT and have just come across your thread as I wanted to know the same thing! It seems like everyone in my school uses their own money to buy bits and bobs for school so I've ended up doing so for mine. I'm just going to make sure I remember what I have bought and take it with me if I move on. Hope you've found a job! x

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Teaching_Tricks

Teaching_Tricks Occasional commenter

Box of Tricks
    All of those things that make the experienced teacher look like the consumate professional... the things that we wouldn't be without. This is not an exhaustive list - but I do have all of these lurking in my cupboard.
    A notebook: for all the messages given at briefings & in meetings, noting down contact with parents, things you have to do... invaluable for organising yourself.
    • Board-pens & a rubber: despite schools providing these, you will often find that they are missing when you need them the most, by having your own handy the ever present worry of "Where is the pen" goes away.
    • again something that is often provided, but more often missing, it is an essential on a hot day when you need air-flow through a room.
    • Memory stick / External hard-drive: most educational programmes now are on the computers. (The system, the network or a host of other names in different schools.) Having a copy of these programmes and all your resources on a portable hard drive will make life a lot easier... especially when the network connection goes down (which it will do when you urgently need it the most!)
    • Painkillers: there are days when you get a headache/backache etc... and you can't pop out for a painkiller, having them handy makes the world of difference.
    • Baby wipes: as strange as this may seem - these are wonderful for cleaning hands, spills on clothes, as a freshen-up... a million and one uses!
    • Tissues: a similar scenario to baby wipes, more uses than the traditional nose blowing
    • A mug: yes teachers are territorial - over their mugs! Bring your own and you won't be part of the great mug war of 20xx!
    • Teabags / coffee: the common complaint - who finished the coffee??? Avoid the caffeine withdrawal symptoms by having your own supply.
    • Powdered milk/creamer: more often thannot no-one will have bought any milk - so if you want your drinks white, make sure you have powdered milk/creamer to hand.
    Ladies...
    • Spare stockings/tights: nothing is worse than getting a huge ladder in your stockings/tights - be prepared have some spare!
    • Clear nail varnish: for if you don't have the spare pair of tights/stockings for a simple stop-gap repair.
    • Hair clip / hair band: you will often find when marking or similar, your hair gets in the way, having something to tie it back is invaluable.
    • Nail file: what is worse than a torn, scratchy broken nail? Have a nail file handy - you can guarantee getting at least one breakage.
    Gents...
    • Spare tie: you really don't want to stand in front of the class or parents with stains on your tie.

6. sparkledust21

sparkledust21 New commenter

I would say as a first year teacher it is very important to start thinking about classroom organization. What do you want to use to organize your materials? Bins, etc. If I were you I would hold off on buying books however you can buy the bins to store your books in. I say hold off on the books because you need to know what age group you will be teaching first. Also feel free to buy things to decorate your class. The school I work for has very few things to make the classroom look pretty. Also buy pens for yourself, extra board markers, stickers, rewards for the students, cardstock paper etc. My school does not supply cardstock nor do we have a color printer. So I would invest in a color printer and a laminator to keep at home.

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Principles first. Try this for size: "I've just landed a checkout operator's job at Tesco. Should I buy my own terminal? Till roll? Bin? Wipes? Chip-and-pin machine?" You shouldn't need to buy the materials for your classroom. Instead you might ask what the budget is for books, stationery, whatever and what the ordering procedures are; and also whether you are allowed to pay cash and then reclaim from petty cash.
    Practicalities: Teaching_Tricks has some good points about your own personal kit. From hard experience I wouldn't go into school with nice pens - they seem to grow legs - but there will be a steady flow into your classroom of cheapo ball pens left behind by the pupils.
    I would urge caution over memory sticks and other portable memory devices. Unless you have them properly encrypted, the chances are high that (a) you'll have stored confidential data on them; (b) that you'll leave one on a train, forget it in class, have it "liberated" by a pupil, or whatever. That could lead to some serious consequences. Use the school's network storage and use the remote access to it instead. And remember that copies of software may be illegal (think copyright).

wanet likes this.
  8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Hi, I'm an NQT this year, and the two things I bought myself were a guillotine/paper trimmer and a laminator. My school provides boxes of laminating pouches but it's one of those jobs it's nicer to do at home watching TV than sitting in your classroom. I have taken quite a few of my own nice bits into school but you have to be prepared that with 30 kids, things will get trashed, stepped on etc. I used to be like you and want everything perfect but I'm a lot less fussy now - its unsustainable. It's more important that the children are learning than having an immaculate classroom. Good luck with everything! X

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Don't buy a single thing.

I've bought everything listed by teaching_tricks over the years, and many of my lessons would have ground to a halt if i hadn't.

But now when I look back, I can't believe I ver got suckered into subsidising a failing system the way I did.

I spent thousands, literally.

In one school, where I worked for 9 years, I spent a couple of hundred pounds a year on "essentials" and the HT went on a recruitment jaunt to the Caribbean!