1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Job - What do I need to buy?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Studentteacher101, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Studentteacher101

Studentteacher101 New commenter

Hi All,

I will hopefully have my first primary teaching position by September. Although this may be slightly premature, I am trying to compile a list of essentials that I will need to purchase for my own classroom.

I have begun looking in charity shops for various books, to create a reading corner. But, beyond this I am unsure what I will need. Do classrooms come with pencil pots? Storage units? Will I need to buy filing too?

What other things did you buy/have you bought for your first classroom?

Thanks!

jomaimai likes this.
  2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Resist the urge to spend anything! Have you actually got a job yet? All schools are different in what they supply and so until you have a position you have no idea what you'll need.

Be warned though - it is very easy to spend your own money on items that should be supplied by school. Try to avoid spending any of your hard-earned wages on classroom stuff - if it's needed then school should be paying for it.

[​IMG]

jomaimai, lizziescat, senlady and 3 others like this.
  3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I agree with the above poster. Wait until you've seen what you have and then start designing.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

For which year group? How do you know which books will be suitable if you haven't got a job yet?

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Dearie dearie me

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Studentteacher101

I have started looking now, as although I do not have a job I know which year group I would like to work in, and so I have a rough Idea. It is also worth mentioning that children within one year group can preform above and below reading expectations, and therefore a range of books from simple picture books to more advanced texts are worth collecting.

7. Studentteacher101

The main reason I am starting to buy things now is because I don't have a lot of spare money. When completing uni I will be moving house and with this comes further expenditure, so I doubt I will have a penny come August or September. Therefore, I thought it made the most sense to spread the cost buy starting to collect the essentials now.

However, I take on board that different schools may require me to buy different things so I will hold off and try to keep some pennies spare which I can use closer to the time :)

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Trip trap...

Middlemarch and monicabilongame like this.
  9. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

What about don't spend anything?
    There is a reason why schools have budgets.
    I occasionally buy something with my own money but that is mostly for fun things like popcorn if we have a class party.
    If it is necessary for the class to run, and that includes different kinds of snacks, books, cups, plates, etc I buy it and then get the money back.
    Or I put in an order and get it.

From where did you get the idea you have to buy resources yourself?

senlady likes this.
  10. beccamxx

beccamxx New commenter

A couple of my friends qualified last year and both ended up spending quite a lot on setting up their classroom form rugs and cushions, to staplers and storage. Not to mention the money they spent on paper and home printing inks.

I am also currently in a school at the moment and my mentor (and other school staff) frequently buy resources, with their own money, for the children to use including paper, card, glue-sticks and even menu holders for the tables.

In all honesty, I didn't realise when asking this question that people would have such an issue, and in some cases be a little rude (this comment is not directed to you). I am after all a trainee teacher and I thought this was a reasonable assumption from what I have seen from past schools and the experiences of my friends.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You never been in a classroom?

Never done Teaching Practice?

:)

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

it is not a reasonable assumption that you furnish your classroom or provide resources.
    i buy stuff with my own money but claim it back. which is what your mentor etc should be doing.
    you don't get paid enough to buy it, and nor should you anyway.
    don't spend a penny on anything until you have a job. anything you buy should be 'prettying up extras' that you personally would like, not essentials, and even then think very hard.

jarndyce and marlin like this.
  13. beccamxx

beccamxx New commenter

Thank you for all of the advice (to those who have offered it and refrained form being rude). I will ensure that I don't buy any of the essentials and wait until I can see the empty space before I decide what extras I might like to have.

14. beccamxx

beccamxx New commenter

Yes I have, and believe it or not, I am currently working towards outstanding in the final year of my practice.

Yet, I have never had my own classroom and have never had to organise one at the start of the year. I wont apologise or be made to feel stupid or ashamed for asking a question (on what I believed to be a supportive community space) to something that I was unsure about. I will however, say that I was wrong in thinking that every member on here would be polite and helpful - as I have certainly be proven wrong on this account. It is a shame that some people take pleasure in being rude, spoiling things for the few people that wouldn't dream of doing that.

15. emilystrange

nobody has been rude to you.
    it is worrying that you are thinking about this now, with no job yet or knowledge of what year group. you can't make any plans at all without knowing that.
    what's even more worrying is that you think you have to buy this stuff in the first place. where's the idea come from? it's not something that an nqt should even have to consider! if you've been told this, then you're being told incorrectly. don't let school put you out of pocket for anything except personal things.
    once they're in school, they're not considered yours any more, not really. they'll get lost, borrowed, damaged, worn out - at your cost.
    when you get that job, visit and find out what you can order before september. there's always something you think of when you've been there a few weeks, and you can order a bit more.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What question have you asked, @beccamxx? I can only see the question asked by another poster, the one at the top, by the poster @Studentteacher101 .

Best wishes

17. emilystrange

tbh, after a display of toy out of pram chucking like that, i'm sorry i bothered to answer.
    if you've been using two user names, get rid of one. it's against the Tes T&C.

18. parachute89

parachute89 New commenter

I am in my NQT year and spent last Summer going to lots of boot fairs and charity shops for any toys or games that would enhance my children's learning (I am a reception teacher). I ended up spending very little on some fun games and pieces, and bits to decorate my classroom with (bits and pieces for my reading area etc). This is completely up to you though.

Aside from that, I wouldn't spend money on anything like pencil pots etc. As your school should provide this. I really wouldn't recommend buying anything like glue or pens or card for the children, as these things should definitely be provided by the school. That in mind, I am guilty of buying pieces for my children to use (e.g. Cotton wool).

I wouldn't buy anything now, particularly as it isn't definite what year you would work in and what pieces you may have in your class already. But if you do happen to come across cheap books from charity shops or pieces from boot fairs, then I think that's fair enough. Also remember that they are yours! If you change school, you would take them with you.

Some schools are very good at reimbursing teachers the money they spend in the classroom (my placement school for example). However at my current school, I think they'd laugh in my face if I handed in a receipt!

Good luck.

19. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Not willing to be rude: Buy yourself a yoga class or similar.

Seriously, some sort of filing boxes, folders... system to sort out all the papers, labels, resources you will try to control from day one.

20. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

First get the job.

Jamietzu likes this.