1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First job of the year

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by blazer, Sep 3, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Got a call this morning but had to turn it down (Nice school too) but now got 2 weeks starting Thursday at a local Grammar. Should be interesting as I have never taught A level!:eek:

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I don't expect anything this week.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I wasn't expecting any either. Apparently the Grammar one is covering a short term illness

4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

helenemdee said:
    I'm on supply and, most surprisingly, my first day back is on Thursday in secondary SEN.
    Blimey - that could be the winner of ‘the earliest day of supply this term’ - unless anyone else can beat it?!

This was over on Personal - so @helenemdee, you were almost beaten but as @blazer turned down the work, it doesn't count! Anyone else working yet?

agathamorse likes this.
  5. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

A good start, I never usually got any calls until almost half term.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

I had a school text today and ask if I’m available this week and next! Waiting to hear the outcome tomorrow...wasn’t expecting anything for a couple of weeks!

7. BertieBassett2

You could be our winner, then!

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I had a call asking if I was available to do some 1-2-1 intervention work. The usual terms, of course. :(

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  9. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

I had a call this morning, it may have been for work or possibly just checking my availability.

10. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

I seem to be on to good things this time round *crosses fingers*. A different school called today asking if I could go in for a meeting tomorrow about the possibility of full time work across a range of subjects.
    The school from yesterday has not called back so no work as yet but let’s see what tomorrow brings...

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Did 2 days at the grammar. Loving it. Kids who want to learn and thank you for the lesson as they leave at the end.:D Lots of teaching and almost no behaviour issues (so far). Just a couple of yr 8s I need to stamp on next week.

12. HS65

HS65 New commenter

Had nothing yet ..... a few enquiries, two for the same one teaching something way out of my expertise.
    Waiting on hearing back about another one .... a school I’ve been to before, one subject I could manage but with one that would be difficult. Upfront with the agency about this so if they’re happy to take me on that basis so be it.

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  13. HS65

HS65 New commenter

And, as if by magic ..... got a call about the one I was waiting for .... this weds to Friday for time being. Ease me in gently ;)

14. BertieBassett2

Well done! Let us know how you get on and good luck.

agathamorse and HS65 like this.
  15. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I’m in Warwickshire- I got offered some work last week actually which I had to turn down- but I got a call this Monday to offer me a week long placement. Very pleased about this, I had no work last September at all!

agathamorse likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One of my first jobs on supply a few years back was at a special school - I was there for three days and although I enjoyed it I was completely out of my depth/

At the end of the week I asked the agency to find somebody else.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I spent a few days a special school. EBD. I enjoyed it. I would go back there.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The job I turned down last week was in Alcester which is Worcs but not far from Warks. Nice school too.

MissGeorgi likes this.
  19. steviepal

steviepal New commenter

I was offered two weeks on the first day of term but had to turn it down as I was busy for the first week.. It was in a PRU I'd been in before though so I'm not too bothered. Now't since.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The Grammar school has asked for me back. To cover Geography!

greeneyes likes this.