1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

first job application help over a cover letter?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by katieemma2, Feb 9, 2012.

1. I have recieved a application pack in the post, it says to send back the application pack and the safe learning criminal offences thing back also. However it does not ask for a cover letter or anything like that, within the application form it has one section asking to write about howI meet the required criteria. Is this where I would write about why I would be good for the job etc, and also say how I meet criteria or would they excpet a cover letter also? I am unsure as to how to approach this?
    Thank You
    Rachael

2. ILoveTeaching

ILoveTeaching New commenter

In the personal statement part of the application form I always write "See attached letter". This gives me more space to tell them why I want the job, etc. I have seen lots of job applications like this during my time as second in faculty. Good luck.

3. I wouldn't recommend the above. Not saying it's wrong, just personal opinion. If I read an application form like that it would immediately make me suspect that the "attached letter" was the same one submitted for all jobs, and hadn't been written especially for the job I was trying to fill. If you are doing it electronically, there's no reason why you can't fit it into the application form.
    In answer to your main question, if they haven't asked for a cover letter then just make it short and sweet. Highlight a few key reasons why a) you want the job and b) you think you will be good for the job.

4. ILoveTeaching

ILoveTeaching New commenter

Sorry to sound arrogant, but I will... I have got every interview I have ever applied for and every job that I have been interviewed for. I am pretty sure I am good at the application bit.
    My letter is always so carefully written for each specific job that nobody would think it was generic. There simply is not space to fit all of the stuff I want in the little box on the application form. I was given this advice by my PGCE tutor at uni!
    Again...sorry to sound arrogant.

5. Not particularly sorry to sound arrogant but ... I didn't say your advice was wrong, just that I disagreed with it. Like you, I have also received an interview for every job I have ever applied for. And, aside from two blips in my teens, I have been offered every job I've intereviewed for. Before teaching I was in recruitment for nearly 10 years. I have read tens of thousands of CVs and application forms. My advice is that right from the very first time the "reader" comes into contact with any communication from you they should feel like you have written it especially for them.
    If I was reading yours and it said "see attached letter" I would have a few seconds of thinking "oh here we go, standard not-so-personal-statement coming". I may then be totally blown away by your letter, but wouldn't you rather blow someone away without them having had that moment of doubt beforehand?
    Maybe it's your use of the word "letter" ... do you mean that you write a detailed application letter (ie the bit with the address and Dear Whoever on it) and then redirect the "reader" to that? Or do you mean you have a cover letter (with the address and Dear ... ) and then a separate document to which you direct the reader? I would certainly say that the latter is preferable. Also, on a note of practicality, some councils (and, in many cases, therefore, schools) have VERY strict recruitment procedures. Only certain things can be considered in the recruitment process - if they do not ask for an application/cover letter then they may disregard it; in which case directing them to a standalone document is definitely preferable. (I came into contact with at least 5 councils in the UK who bin the cover letter immediately and work only from the application form).
    There's nothing wrong with having a separate document to which you direct them if a) the application form says something along the lines of "continue on a separate sheet if you need extra space" and b) it is not possible to simply change the size of the text box if, for example, the application form is a Word file and allows for this. Some employers set the size of the application form because they want you to sell yourself in that amount of words/space. This may be part of their criteria.
    Are you likely to lose a job over it? In itself, no. Is there the possibility to give yourself fewer positives or more negatives as a result of it? Dependent on the pedantry of the people making the decisions, then, yes, I would say that there is.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

In applications always do what they ask of you! It looks like the how you will meet the job criteria is in place of a personal statement- in essence they are answering the same question. Nothing to stop you just adding a short cover letter with the application thanking them for the opportunity to apply and just emphasising 2 or 3 points of strength in your application