1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First interview in a very long time - advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jenbob123, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Jenbob123

Jenbob123 New commenter

i am looking to get back into teaching after a couple of years off with my kids and, before that, about 20 years in the same school, so I am completely out of practice with interviews and observed lessons.
    I have 2 interviews coming up and the observed lessons in particular are panicking me.
    Should I have a printed lesson plan to give the observer?
    I don’t have access to IWB software - should I avoid using IT altogether and go old-school with a write-on whiteboard (one lesson is about 20 mins, the other is 40 mins)
    For the shorter lesson, how do I structure it? Give them individual whiteboards? It’s English yr 6 so they’ll need to be doing something rather than just paired talking etc.
    How do I clamp down on any misbehaviour when I don’t know the school’s systems?
    Sorry - so many questions!

2. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Not necessarily. Lots of schools project onto whiteboards instead of having smart boards. Just means you can't use notebook files. You could maybe have a PowerPoint or show a video clip though. Check if they have a computer in the room. Some schools use ipads instead and project via airplay. Best to have whatever you prepare saved onto a cloud.

Jenbob123 likes this.
  3. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

You will probably find the school's behaviour policy on their website - that might give you an overview.

Jenbob123 likes this.
  4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

you might find that the first one turns into a training day for you!
    Do your best, listen to advice as they should debrief you.
    Most of all enjoy being back doing what you do very well, answer truthfully and be yourself. There is so little experience around, you may be just what they are looking for, or they might not.
    Show off your calm behaviour management skills as any NQTs will have nowhere near the raft of skills that you have!

Embem15, palmtree100 and Jenbob123 like this.
  5. Jenbob123

Jenbob123 New commenter

Thank you all for your clear-headed and sensible advice - just what I need!

6. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Yes I remember how awful I was in my first teaching interview after a long break.

Next one was much better.

Jenbob123 likes this.
  7. Embem15

Embem15 New commenter

Email the school and ask if they have PowerPoint. Don't be afraid to send them a list of questions. As for misbehaviour, if your activity is engaging, which it will be, it won't be an issue. You won't have time to talk too much so just have a strategy in place for getting their attention and tell them what it is.

Jenbob123 likes this.
  8. Embem15

Embem15 New commenter

Also, I downloaded the 5 minute lesson plan from here and took 3 or 4 copies for observers. Plan a hook to get them interested, make sure the children are doing the most work and will learn something new/make progress. Finish with AFL. You will be surprised what fits into 20 mins. I practised on my own children! Have you got a class you can test it out on?

Jenbob123 likes this.
  9. Jenbob123

Jenbob123 New commenter

Thanks for your replies and great advice/ideas. I don’t have a class at the moment but might try it out with my kids at home just to make sure it all makes sense!