1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First interview and terrified!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by anon2047, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have my first interview on Tuseday and am absolutely terrified. I have been applying for jobs since Christmas, and now I have actually been shortlisted, I am worried my nerves will get the better of me.
    I have to teach a 60 minute lesson to a mixed KS3 class, I don't know any more than that, and have interviews, student panels and discussions.
    There are four of us, and I have no idea what to expect or what I should include in my lesson (I can teach anything). I am a PGCE ICT student.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    J

2. Interesting! Teach something simple like creating a business card in Publisher (Normally done for OCR nationals AO4 Unit 1). I usually get 2 of them up at the start of the lesson and say they are sales people and clients, sell them this phone and then when they have finished ask them how will they know how to contact each other again? what can we use? Someone will usually say Business Card... yes! brainstorm on the whiteboard what you have on a business card, show an example on the IWB and go in published and show them the basics. As it is an hour's lesson you might do the front and back of the business card! at the end you could do a peer review activity, Star Star Wish (give them a success criteria at the start).

Hope this helps?

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I have been to two interviews so far, both unsuccessful so I'm probably not the best person to give you any tips...
    But I can tell you about my experiences. Both of mine started with a group talk with the headteacher, they discussed the school, the position and welcomed us to the school. Next was a tour of the school, we went in some classrooms and met some staff. Next we were taken to the staffroom and waited to be taken in for our lessons. When you're not in the lesson you wait in the staffroom or other allocated area.
    Both my lessons must have been good because I made it through the cut after the lesson observations through to the panel interview. You might not have a cut as there are only 4 of you. In my first interview it was lunch with the students before interview, in the second we proceeded straight to interview and were all finished by lunch time.
    During the panel interviews you wait in the staffroom until your turn and then when you go in they ask you a series of questions, in my first there were 4 members on the panel who took in turns to question me. In the second there were just two on the panel. They make the interviews as comfortable and informal as is possible to try and put you at ease. (Top tip-Make sure you have some good examples to refer to in the interview that relate to differentiation, engagement, afl, bfl etc. This is where I fell down in my two interviews and I won't be making the same mistake next time!)
    Once that's all over you can wait for the decision or they may give you the option to leave and be phoned with the outcome.
    In regard to the lesson observation, my second interview was open for me to teach whatever I liked. They are mainly looking at how well you deliver a lesson, achieve the learning outcomes, engage the students and manage the classroom etc. The topic is really not important but your subject knowledge and skills are. Go with something you are comfortable with that will show off your skills and that you think the students will enjoy and will learn from. Refer to the ofsted criteria for achieving an outstanding lesson when you're planning.

4. Hi, thanks for the replies and the advice! I didn't realise they could ask you to leave after the lesson obs, i just thought you would go through the whole process.
    I will try and hold my nerve, and let you know how i do!
    Thanks again,
    J

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

They tend to put most weight on your lesson, so if they don't like what they see they might decide it's not worth interviewing you - this can save everyone a lot of time, especially if they have a lot of candidates. If they've only invited four of you to interview, though, they might interview you even if they don't really like your lesson (this happened to me), so don't assume that getting through to interview means they like you. Good luck!

6. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Try not to worry, not all schools send people home before interview. I had 5 interviews before I got my job and it was only one school that sent people home after the lesson.
    The job I got I was told I could teach anything I wanted and it freaked me out a bit too but it also meant I could use resources I already had from training and supply so that was very handy as I knew some of it had already worked.

7. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I only had 2 student interviews - my first and my last! The first I didn't get the job because of it as the pupils thought I was too strict (e.g was the only interviewee who didn't say 'I reward with chocolate and sweets') and didn't like that I had mentioned their headteacher had also been mine and thought I was trying to win them over.
    The job I got I tried to ask the pupils more in the student interview, what they were interested in, what they knew about things as well as them asking me. Seemed to work anyway.

Good Luck!

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Don't let one lesson put you off! So it was an interview lesson but things still happen. Learn from it, try again. The first one is always the hardest xx

9. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Hear hear! I've had three interviews and at my second one I did a pretty poor lesson. Didn't help that the kids were fairly badly behaved (for an interview lesson) but I didn't let it put me off. My third interview lesson was a cracker and I got the job! Don't give up.

10. Hi everyone,
    Thanks do much for the support!
    J