1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First international job accepted in Cairo (MFL) - any advice?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by agcb256, Apr 18, 2018.

1. agcb256

agcb256 New commenter

Dear all,

I am delighted to say that I have finally taken the plunge and accepted a job in a well-established school in New Cairo and I am over the moon! I have been building up to this during my 5 years of teaching in the UK and I am hoping it's the start of an exciting next chapter.

I am moving with no dependents etc. and will be changing to iGCSE and IB.

Does anybody have any advice for someone who has never done this before and also specifics to Egypt?

Many thanks!

2. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

I have spoken to a number of quality teachers who are heading to Cairo this September. They all seem excited by the prospect. I cannot give you any specific advice on Eygpt but I can say to expect an emotional roller coaster for the first 12 months in any new overseas appointment. It usually starts with the excitement of the new adventure, this is often followed by frustration and missing the conveniences of home. Thankfully, this is then usually replaced by an appreciation of the contrasts and the developments of lifelong friendships. Enjoy!

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Feel free to send me a message thingy

agcb256 likes this.
  4. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I was in Egypt for two years - have sent you a PM

agcb256 likes this.
  5. SineField

SineField New commenter

I'm off to Cairo myself this summer as an international newb! As a TES newb I can't initiate conversations but I can reply to messages I believe?

agcb256 likes this.
  6. agcb256

agcb256 New commenter

Sorry - edit: it's NOT in New Cairo City, it's in the west, near the airport.
    ...got confused!