1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First HT Appraisal

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by stupid fool, Sep 8, 2018.

1. stupid fool

stupid fool New commenter

Hi,

I have my first appraisal coming up since being appointed a HT in March.

Please can anyone give me some examples of what targets you have had for your own professional development? I have a few ideas but I am unsure if they would be seen as appropriate for a HT.

Thanks

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

No, because that was my professional development and not yours. Everyone is different so will have different developmental needs.

Perhaps you could ask the advice of your school improvement advisor. Have a think about what your strengths and weaknesses are.

Sometimes, well in my case anyway, I was forced to accept the targets of the two governors who conducted my appraisal. Make sure your targets are SMART. They must be SMART, just like all other staff (contrary to the opinion of my C of G who said that HT targets are different and do not need to be SMART!!)

(Edit:: You are lucky not to have had a PM meeting as soon as you started. I had two targets put in place immediately I started part way through the year.)

Good luck.

Marshall and nomad like this.
  3. stupid fool

stupid fool New commenter

Thank you for reply. I wasn’t looking to copy your targets just to see to how challenging these should be. Thank

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I was lucky with my governors and advisers, mine were very fair. Avoid at all costs a strictly numerical results target- it can be done. Something will probably be based on School improvement priorities and something on your own development needs eg developing knowledge and expertise in finance or HR to benefit your role. Maybe something wider school working with the community.

If your adviser is good they will facilitate sensible discussion. The biggest worry is a rogue governor who tries to exercise too much power. But, as digory says, they haven’t rushed in to do that so you should be fine.

digoryvenn likes this.
  5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Make sure that one relates to your own CPD. My 3rd target was about making use of the support offered to me through CPD and was very much geared to helping me do the best I Could. It also made others have to support me, e.g. developing my understanding of HR meant that the HR department were obliged to help me out through training etc. Not just be at the end of a phone if things were going wrong.

Marshall and digoryvenn like this.
  6. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@digoryvenn did you ask your HoG why he thought it was OK to have a target which wasn't Achievable???

7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Yes I did, but it didn't change anything.