1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

first home visit- what shall i do?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by cleocleoteacher, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Ok, I posted on here a little while ago as a parent rung me wanting her four year old to have a private tutor. We have arranged for them to come around tomorrow night for a meet and greet session. I am a little worried, as she kept wanting me to go lower than the £20 I quoted, and there was a language barrier so I am not sure what she really wants. She would not committ to the payment so I guess she must want to meet me before she decides. I told her this was only a meet and greet session not a tutor session several times on the phone so I hope she understands this.
    It turns out the child is almost 5 but this is still very young. I haven't charged for this session. I was wondering what everyone does in these meet and greet sessions. The child cannot tell me what she can and cannot do and the languAge barrier makes it difficult to find out exactly what she can and cannot do.
    Should I just ask the mum and make notes and tell her a little bit about how I wouls tackle these issues? Or, should I print out some I can statements from the early years curriculum and see if she can do them then and there? As I am not sure that the mum will know what she can and cannot do.

2. Ok, I posted on here a little while ago as a parent rung me wanting her four year old to have a private tutor. We have arranged for them to come around tomorrow night for a meet and greet session. I am a little worried, as she kept wanting me to go lower than the £20 I quoted, and there was a language barrier so I am not sure what she really wants. She would not committ to the payment so I guess she must want to meet me before she decides. I told her this was only a meet and greet session not a tutor session several times on the phone so I hope she understands this.
    It turns out the child is almost 5 but this is still very young. I haven't charged for this session. I was wondering what everyone does in these meet and greet sessions. The child cannot tell me what she can and cannot do and the languAge barrier makes it difficult to find out exactly what she can and cannot do.
    Should I just ask the mum and make notes and tell her a little bit about how I wouls tackle these issues? Or, should I print out some I can statements from the early years curriculum and see if she can do them then and there? As I am not sure that the mum will know what she can and cannot do.

3. emmathe37th

emmathe37th New commenter

I would go with some 'I can' statements, and also ask her mum what she thinks she is struggling with most - reading/writing/counting etc.
    And tell the mother that 4 years old is ridiculously young for getting a tutor. I wouldn't have actually agreed to the tuition, but that's another point.

4. Thanks, I have printed off some I can statements for Reception and I am going to ask mum. If mum's not sure than I'll just have to do some activities in the next session and see myself what she can and cannot do.
    I did question myself saying yes to a child so young but she is coming up to 5 and also I am trying to get into private tution and she would be my first client so I can't say no really if I want to build up my reputation. I am also not in the position where I can turn money away either I am afraid.