1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First GCSE English lesson after lockdown

Discussion in 'English' started by catslovelycats, Jun 11, 2020.

1. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

So year 10 are back next week and we have decided to do something from the poetry anthology because that is a resources students have with them. But what to do? Just a normal lesson? What are you all doing?

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Some kind of reflection on being back in school and how it feels, challenges ahead and how we can support each other.

3. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

Is it AQA? Checking out me History would be a topical choice! Or any that deal with big emotions/feelings - capitalise on how literature can be a place to get down feelings - how Blake felt about London, Wordsworth's awe of nature etc...

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

After this long away from students, my focus would be on reestablishing relationships. I'd ask students how they were doing and what they hopes / fears are for returning to school and the remainder of this very strange year. They could express themselves through poetry, but the socioemotional side would definitely be my priority.

Edit: I've just noticed my post did appear above - it hadn't before, so I guess I'm just reiterating what I originally said.