1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First few days...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Aug 18, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am going to be starting my first new class when the holidays go back...what do you normally do with a brand new class the first couple of days into a new term? How quickly do you start getting into topic, maths etc?

2. I normally teach them!

3. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

That was very useful...I know that but I meant do you start of with revision or do you start right away into topics etc.

4. I start straight away as I mean to go on. We always do pretopic mind maps anyway so that will be involved, plus the prior learning check for Literacy and the review session for maths. However, these happen regularly throughout the school term so there is nothing different.
    Too many people mention games and activities for the first week back which I personally think is ridiculous.

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

depends on the age to some extent.
    Teaching was not a bad comment, the sooner you get down to work the better. Then you can start to mark some of their work and find out what they have forgotton, or never knew. Also gives you the chance to give them some feedback quickly, so they get the idea that you know what you are doing and will "help" them to improve their work quickly.
    Maths wise, i would be assessing their times tables in some way really quickly, which gives a nice easy homework (for you)

6. aneville

aneville New commenter

'Teach them' is a fair comment, if not a bit patronising. I also include getting to know you activities for the first two days, but incorporated within normal lessons, i.e. a writing piece about their summer, which I also use to assess some of the basics of writing. I also devote a lesson to writing classroom rules and discussing expectations with the class, which I think is one of the most important things to do within the first couple of days. Maths lessons I use to assess key skills and knowledge. All other subjects I tend to get stuck into straight away. Good luck with your new class!

7. I start them all straight away but try to build in some assessments particularly a writing one as these are sometimes subjective and can be erroneous. Keep a record of where you think the children are especailly if it is different from the data given to you by the previous teacher or SLT this way you can show the progress made from where you think they are rather than ffrom where someone tell you that they are.
    Don't be too nice! The old saying is Don't smile 'til Christmas!' if you do not get your behaviour right in this first week it will be difficult to get it right.

I would also have a lesson where the children come up with what makes a good classroom, what makes a good learner and what makes a good teacher. We then negotiate which ones they will be doing to be a good learner and which ones I will be doing to be a good teacher.
    I also discuss the class rules. I get the children to come up with the rules and then we write them up and they all sign it. This way if any of them ever complain that the rules are unfair, I tell them that they are not my rules but theirs.
    In numeracy you could do a little bit of revision, but if you do block A1 - place value you can revise partitioning of numbers etc. If they find it difficult reduce the number of digits, if they find it difficult then increase the number of digits.
    Always have some back up plans for numeracy this first few weeks as you might encounter some things the children really struggle with or find really each which could mess up your lesson timings. Dont feel the need to labour something they all clearly know and understand, or rush through something they have no idea of. Be flexible until you find the right levels to pitch the work at.
    Start topic striaght away. As a previous poster mentioned start with 'a knowledge harvest' if you do IPC or a brainstorm mind map about the topic to see what they already know. If it is a history topic the next lesson for me is normally to fit the topic i.e. The Tudors into a timeline so the children have a point of reference.

Good Luck with your new class