1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First ever thing to teach in PSRN and CLL

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by life2teach, Aug 10, 2011.

1. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Hello,
    I'm starting my NQT job in September in reception which I'm very excited about and looking forward to the challenge. [​IMG]
    Apologies if this sounds silly but I was wondering what is the first thing you would teach for example in a PSRN class? I have not experienced lessons being taught from September. During my training the first time I was in school was October time so I have not seen a lesson/class from the beginning.
    For example for PSRN I was thinking of starting with number/recognising numerals. I would recap numbers and make it practical by having the children order themselves and objects. Also maybe matching memory games when a card is turned over. This would help with recognition.
    Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

2. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Hello,
    I'm starting my NQT job in September in reception which I'm very excited about and looking forward to the challenge. [​IMG]
    Apologies if this sounds silly but I was wondering what is the first thing you would teach for example in a PSRN class? I have not experienced lessons being taught from September. During my training the first time I was in school was October time so I have not seen a lesson/class from the beginning.
    For example for PSRN I was thinking of starting with number/recognising numerals. I would recap numbers and make it practical by having the children order themselves and objects. Also maybe matching memory games when a card is turned over. This would help with recognition.
    Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

3. Use the EYFS. Find out where children are on the development matters if possible, eg records from nursery. Expect them to be working in the 30-50 months band with some moving into the 40-60+ band. Plan your activities accordingly. Your ideas for activities sound OK, but think about how to interest and engage the children, make it fun and be prepared to be flexible. Be practical in how you organise activities. If children are going to arrange themselves in number order, holding number cards (is that the idea?), do it in a small group because it might get a bit crazy with 30 children trying to do it at once.

4. Oh, and good luck. [​IMG]

5. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Thanks for your advice.
    I have the nursery records and the children are at different levels (as expected). I will go over the EYFS/early learning goals. I think I'm OK with the different activities; Im more thinking about that first carpet session. :-s
    I agree to have the children in small groups when moving them as 30 children will be chaos! :)

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would suggest that before you move onto numerals you work on the actual oneness and twoness ... young children can often recite numbers and recognise the written form but have no concept of what it means. Being able to point to each object and say one ....

7. Be careful with carpet sessions - my class last year could only concentrate for three minutes at the start of the year! Don't expect to get a lot done! Activities are better, for children to dip in and out of initially.

Good luck

8. Have you seen the Numbers and Patterns document? I found it really useful in breaking PSRN concepts down into smal steps and offering more objectives.
    http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/Maths%20and%20English%20Matters/NQT's/January%202010/NQT%20things/Numbers%20and%20patterns.pdf

9. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

If you are fretting about a first number session on the carpet, keep it simple. See who can spot numbers around the room. Sing some simple number songs. Ta-da! Done!

10. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Thanks to everyone for their advice and document links; it has helped put my nerves at ease.
    Good luck to everyone too
    :) Much appreciated.