1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First ever teaching interview on Tuesday! - Any tips for preperation?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jak121, Apr 29, 2017.

1. jak121

jak121 New commenter

Hi all,

So i've been lucky enough to have been invited to an interview for a KS2 teaching school at a local primary school this coming Tuesday. I'm pretty excited yet a little bit nervous as I'm not sure what to expect. I have been told that I the process will be happening in 'rounds' and that if we make it through to the next round then we will face a panel of children. I've preapred my lesson and would greatly appreciate any extra teacher interview tips!

Thanks!

2. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 New commenter

Be yourself, be enthusiastic and if you face the children, consider how you can take them outside the classroom, They love doing lessons outside, whether it be cooking on a fire, maths scavenger hunts, orienteering or quiet sits (sensory perception) before English writing. Make science sound exciting (quick science projects on the go - we are growing an avocado at the moment - takes 3 months to sprout - grow cress on the window sill, do science you fancy, but on the side) and if you come over as being enthused, then everybody else will follow. I had an interview when I was asked to do a maths starter then anything else I fancied - I did the maths starter, but I took them literally so I did chromatography - it got me the job! Good luck!

jak121 likes this.
  3. chickenlady4

Feel free to get in contact via private conversation. Well done for getting so far and just think - the school are after someone with a spark and the children are after someone who are interesting and fun - fun IS outside

jak121 likes this.
  4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

If you took one of my classes outside, I have one child who will abscond and another who will climb on the bike shed and throw pine cones at you.

Just saying!

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

what did you teach from chromatography chickenlady?

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I am interviewing for a LKS2 teacher on Wednesday. I want to see someone who teaches the children something they don't know ( or, if he/she finds out that they do know it, can adapt and improvise!) I want to see someone who is firm but with warmth, who sets clear expectations in terms of behaviour and standards of work , who can be engaging without being foolish ( and who doesn't start cooking on a camp fire without a 3 page risk assessment!) But most of all, I want to see the children enjoy LEARNING, not just enjoy an activity.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Excellent advice from Carriev from the recruiter's point of view so even more useful.:D

Plus this re-inforces why it's important not to discuss too much on the forums. Just in case the interviewer has read and recognises your posts. ;)

jak121 likes this.
  8. chickenlady4

They separated black pen ink in pairs - I only had 15mins and the kids went wild trying to find other inks to separate from their pencil cases. They loved it! I was a bit too literal - the others did a maths lesson instead!