1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

first ever lesson?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by scienceteacher11, May 6, 2011.

1. I'm a Cover Supervisor (so I'm expecting most people to discount my contribution straight away...).
    Anyway, when I started last September, I spent the first few weeks 'shadowing' other CS's and teachers. The first class I was given to have on my own was an all boys low ability group. Within 2 minutes of walking into the room, 1 boy had asked another why he was sat in 'his seat' - this instantly escalated into a huge fist fight, with blood everywhere, a boy in a headlock in the corner of the room, a fist cut open, a face cut open...!
    However, I survived, the boys were taken off to first aid / the HT, and I had to stay with the rest of the group for the remaining 60 minutes trying to keep them on task and to keep discussion of the fight to a minimum!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

On my first placement I was told a story by one of the teachers about his first day in a new school. This school was a multi storey affair but the top floor did not go the full length of the building meaning there was a flat section of roof outside the windows of the lab he was assigned to. The kids there would wait till the new teacher arrived then start a mock arguement which would result in one of the kids 'ending it all' by jumping out of the window (remember they are 4 floors up). This was in the days before school windows were fixed to only open 3 inches. The kid would jump and scream then drop onto the flat roof and lie down out of sight. The poor new teacher would be terrified that a kid had jumped. Worse thing was that the regular staff knew this trick but didn't warn the new teacher in advance!

3. Yep! I can relate to this and it was back in 1977 in my first year of teacher training! I had to give a lesson on 'Animal Coverings' to a class of 5 year-olds. I had assumed that the little darlings would be so mesmerised by the large posters I had sourced and by my witty and informative dissertaion on the subject. Unfortunately these kids weren't on the same page and I had children rolling around on the floor, attempting to strangle each other and constantly calling out inappropriate stuff! I concluded my presentation (with as much dignity as I could muster) and then exited the room in tears, declaring that I would NEVER go back into a classroom. Lucky for me my supervisor had a lovely sense of humour and I'm still 'moulding' young minds 34 years later. I have to say the memory of this lesson still causes me to break out in a nervous sweat!

4. Yes! I can remember doing this myself as a trainee teacher - we didn't realise that our supervisors from teachers' college were aware of this little trick - we thought we were so clever!

5. This has really made me belly laugh [​IMG]

6. Me too.....

My first lesson involved teaching infants about famous people and I chose Neil Armstrong. When a keen and eager child had whizzed through every task in 5 mins flat (don't you just love 'em??) I told her to use the computer to find out 3 facts she didn't already know about Mr Armstrong... assuming that the computer had all child friendly filters. Next thing, a voice over blares out 'This is F-ing unreal, F-ing amazing' - the voice of Neil landing on the moon for the first time! So the first thing I ever taught to children was how to use the F word.... success criteria anyone?!

7. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Normal

I remember a lesson, during my first week of
    what we then called “practice teaching” in a Grade 5 (ten-year-olds) at St.
    Margaret of Scotland Catholic School in Toronto in 1979. I don’t remember
    exactly what I was teaching, maybe Math. My associate teacher sat at her desk
    and for some reason the principal dropped in. I had a plan, and it involved the
    use of the overhead projector, but it all went awry. I wrote on the chalkboard,
    then pulled down the screen for the projector, turned off the lights, did something
    on the projector and then turned on the lights, pulled up the screen, wrote
    something else on the chalkboard and repeated the process, probably several
    times. The children were angelic but the teacher and principal were not very
    effective in stifling their own hoots and chortles. I survived.