1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

first ever lesson?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by scienceteacher11, May 6, 2011.

1. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

cast your minds back! How did it go and how nervous were you? Ive covered lessons before but got my 1st own one on monday. Very scared/excited unfortunatly i physically shake when i'm nervous, not great in front of a class of 35!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What - no success criteria, WALT,WILF, learning steps, active learning, 3 step lessons, plenary, group work? You were talking and then they asked questions? What would OFSTED think? Did they make progress? Was it measurable?
    [​IMG]

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

OFSTED were not invented then. As for walt and Wilk I prefer .We All Now Know.

4. sagramor

sagramor New commenter

1993, school in E. Cornwall, year 8 French, still in touch with one of the 'kids'...

5. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

14 years ago (ish) and I honestly can't remember. Is this a good or bad sign? [​IMG]
    I DO remember keeping a tally of lessons I had taught - up until the first 100.

6. I don't remember mine either! I think the topic was North American Plains Indians. And I remember trying not to laugh with a fit of nervous giggles! The one I really remember from my training was my mentor asking me to teach a lesson before a visit to a bobbin mill. She said, I normally just talk to them for an hour and get them to make notes! I was horrified, I knew nothing about the mill. I remember photo copying bits and pieces and glueing together a worksheet to help. Can't imagine not using ICT now for all my resources, IWB etc! Didn't use lesson objectives, can't remember being told anything of 3 part lesson plans, measuring progress etc during training. It wasn't that long -1999, but when I think about it, things have changed loads in the time I've been teaching! I remember doing AFL training maybe 2002 ish??

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I am Secondary trained but was forced to do my main teaching placement in a Further Education College (Which if I could do things again I would have vehemently protested!)
    My first teaching session was a 3 hour GCSE Maths resit class. I was observed by two different staff members. One at the start and one after break.
    I still remember the conflicting feedback - I was told that as I was small, I should stand up all the time as I was 'lost' behind the desk....and then I was told that as I was so small I needed to impose my authority and should sit at the desk more! (Oh, and I'm 5 foot 4 on tippy-toes, not that tiny!)....I was told my voice was too loud...I was told to speak up more...
    I was nervous enough anyway and the confusion didn't help!

8. I remember the first lesson i ever gave- i was thrown in the deep end, second day of observation, the headteacher approached me during morning briefing and told me I would be teaching a year 8 class first lesson. Safe to say panic set in and I had the 3 minute walk to the class to make up the lesson.

I stood in front of the class and launched into the lesson- with a strong Irish accent and my nerves I spoke incredibly fast and only when I asked a question 5 minutes into the lesson did a child finally admit that they hadn't a clue what happened! From that point on it actually went pretty well, the school allowed youtube access so I could show videos- the lesson was on predator and prey... so I got to show Finding Nemo, Ice Age and Madagascar 2 clips which really helped me settle my nerves and think on my feet!

Our uni tutor told us all to buy strong anti perspirant- mitchum I think?! and that was a great investment too... we can all remember the teacher that points at something with sweaty pits showing... and when you are nervous its definitely going to happen!

9. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

I remember working hard as hell on the nights before my first lesson. So much preparation had gone into it that, despite the nerves, there was certainly an element of simply wanting to get on with it!

I still remember thinking that I could cut out 500 laminated cards in 15 minutes before the start of the lesson (thanks to my discipline of not working past 9pm!) I got five of my fellow PGCE students helping out 5 minutes before the lesson started. Although the cards were cut incorrectly, the lesson was reasonably well and I enjoyed it.

As another poster said, my actual first lesson was an art lesson as a cover teacher. Say what you want about Cover Supervisors (make the job title a proper noun, if you will...) it was great training for being a teacher. Actually gave me something to build on with my PGCE theory.

Good luck! Work hard = less stress :-D

10. My friends thought it was very strange when I went into teaching because I used to hate speaking in public, I would shake, sweat and panic. Now I can speak in front of thousands with confidence, teaching has transformed me!!

My advice to any new teacher, prepare, prepare, prepare. Use props, pointers, realia, pictures. Make your students speak first. Hold up pictures and get them to comment, as you interact your nerves will steady. Keep control. In my first few lessons I often found talking while setting up helped, chat with a few children individually but loud enough for other students to hear, a kind of divide and conquer - prepare, prepare, prepare!!

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I came from a shop floor industrial environment shouting over the noise of machines. In my first obs it was noted that I had no problems being heard!

12. My first lesson, as a teacher, not a trainee, went really well - fun, exciting and even the kids (year 5) said how much they'd enjoyed it - wow, I thought this is easy!!! Two days later, I had an observation by the 'HT from hell', the end of which she said that my classroom was that of a 'teacher who didn't care' (I took over mid-term, and the mess was from the previous teacher, 95% of which I'd already cleared, and display boards hadn't changed for 2 terms!!) There was no 'what do you plan to put on display' or even 'welcome to the school'. Needless to say, every lesson after that was nerve-wracking - not because of the class, but because she often 'just popped in'!

13. I don't remember my first lesson as such (1990) but I do remember a Year 5 maths lesson in my first day or two where I proceeded to discuss long multiplication as though they would all have done it many times before, whereas in actual fact they hadn't got much beyond U x U. I had to think on my feet very quickly!

14. They threw chairs.
    I went home and cried.
    My Dad thought it was the funniest thing ever.
    It never happened again during the next 16 years but what a baptism of fire!

15. My first lesson was...ummm...two weeks ago now!

I've taken games lessons before (my parents are both boarding houseparents so, living at a school, they exploit me, and don't pay me...) but not counting them so much.

My first (and second) lesson was with a Year 3 class taking science. I did a practical with them where we had to make invisible ink. Went really well and got good feedback for it :).

I forgot I'd made an elaborate lesson plan that seemed to be a million pages long because I was paranoid about forgetting something crucial and failed because I'd not mentioned mopping up spillages in the health and safety section or something. Once the lesson was in motion there was no real opportunity to consult it at all because I had to go around the class and help etc.

Really enjoyed it!

16. First lesson ever is still very clear in my mind. 08 January 1972. I had been in Kenya about 72 hours during which time I had been collected from Nairobi airport, being fairly obvious with my patched up broken head from Pakistan via Cyprus. Dispatched on the train to Mombasa to be collected by the deputy head and then driven the 100 miles inland to the school. Next day was staff inservice which included generating the timetable. This was done by the office boy calling out the lessons eg: Monday period 1 Form 1, and the teachers staking their claims. The office boy, knowing the routine helped me. Survey of classrooms, books etc whilst students started appearing and whitewashing the classrooms and bagging their desks. Following day my first lesson was Biology with Form 4 - exam year, equivalent of Year 11. I was an untrained, zero experience, teacher out with VSO and expected to run the Science. Looking through the syllabus the previous night I had noted that they were expected to do a study of the local flora and fauna. Looked interesting, I knew nothing about it so the students could teach me! They were instructed to get their exercise books and pens and we would go outside. They were stupified. Everyone knew that Science lessons consisted of teacher writing notes on the board and students copying them. However they would humour this new teacher with a bandage on her head. Out we went and they found that they were expected to do a survey of what flora and fauna were to be found in the school grounds. They had to research rather than be told. So I was warned not to stand on that lump because it contained eggs from a snake. I started learning, and so did they. It was fun. Yes I was nervous but I was determined that Science was a doing subject, not a copying one. And as an addendum, after my 2 years there, if there was a non-practical lesson I had to apologise abjectly.

17. My first lesson was year11biology. The lesson went fine, but as they were leaving the class I was throwing up in the sink. Lucky it was a science lab. It got much better after, but every year at the start of a new year nerves set in.

18. Ah Bless..............1979..............who was it said "you never forget your first lesson" - I have but maybe it is my age!!! The truth is the longer you do it the better an actor you get so no matter what is going on inside or how you really feel - well I think there should be a TEACHER OSCARS.............I think I would get one of those!!! Sad I don't even remember it but it does depend on the class and the school...............!!!

19. I had a hand over period for my first job so I job shared for the first 4 weeks until the teacher went off on maternity. She asked me to read a book to the 34 Y6 children - The Illustrated Mum by Jacqueline Wilson! I had never read it before. She found it hysterical when I read out the bit about carving phallic shapes out of carots and she had to hide in the cupboard. Since then I have learnt to read ahead!

20. It was too long ago to remember the content - but obviously Ashley was as nervous as me: he lifted the lid of his desk (remember them) and vomited copiously into it.