1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First ever lesson observation as part of an interview - advice needed

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by 700W, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm just about to finish a PGCE in Lifelong Learning.
    I went for a teaching interview last week and have made it through to the final stage [​IMG] I've now got to deliver a 15 minute micro teach session to a small group of learners.
    I have a rough idea of what the lesson is going to be like so I don't need any help with that but I was wondering what exactly are the observers looking for? Is there anything I need to make sure that I do? I'm teaching across two levels so I'll need to show differentiation.

Thanks in advance.

2. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Make sure you show progress above all. Try to make it really obvious what they've progressed in. Mini plenaries are important (even just a question here and there). Try to make your differentiation really obvious too, through outcome, task and support. With only 15 minutes to make your mark, make it fun and engaging too (although I'm sure you don't need telling that). I've found that having something on the board as they walk in makes for a swifter and less messy start to an observed lesson, so with that little time, would be really important.

Best of luck!
    S

3. Thanks