1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First ever interview!!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by sinead1990, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Hi guys, I have my first teaching interview coming up after the easter holidays, which I'm really excited but also really nervous about!

I'm required to teach a writing lesson for 1 hour to year 1 - the focus is open to me.

I am thinking of delivering a lesson based around the topic of superheroes, as I feel it will engage both boys and girls.

For the main activity, I am thinking of placing the children into mixed ability groups to create their own comic strip.

I am just trying to find a good book to use for the introduction to the lesson. Does anybody know of any good superhero stories suitable for year 1?

Thanks in advance!

2. Good idea!

Could you make one? That way the children will know your expectations and what the end result should look like...

3. Could you not use a film clip instead? Like The Incredibles or something? You might need to find a collection of comics to model to the class as well, as some might not know the layout.
    Good luck!

4. snivvy

snivvy New commenter

So that the focus remains on writing and all of them are able to achieve some sort of progress with their writing you might want to make a template of a comic strip with a caption line and thought/speech bubbles in each box.
    As a starter you could show stills of a cartoon on the board and as a class you could explore what the characters could be thinking/saying and what the caption could be. They could choose from the options the class generate to complete their first boxes on the comic strip and progress through scaffolded stages o the latter stages of the template which are pretty much blank.