1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Ever Interview... Panic!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon3082, Feb 23, 2011.

1. I just found out I have my first ever interview.. coming up in a matter of days. I have only done 6 weeks of placement so far and that finished last term.

All the guidance I have is that I'm teaching a 30 minute lesson of Maths to Y4.

I've contacted the school to ask about SEN, EAL etc but not heard anything back.

I really don't know what to do - I wish they had at least given me a topic :/

Any advice? Help? Suggestions?

2. I just found out I have my first ever interview.. coming up in a matter of days. I have only done 6 weeks of placement so far and that finished last term.

All the guidance I have is that I'm teaching a 30 minute lesson of Maths to Y4.

I've contacted the school to ask about SEN, EAL etc but not heard anything back.

I really don't know what to do - I wish they had at least given me a topic :/

Any advice? Help? Suggestions?

3. Decide on what you want your LO to be and go from there.
    If your OP is your real name you might also want to go about changing that.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

So, are you saying that you don't feel xperienced enough to undertake this interview task? Ort merely expecting others to take pity and tell you what to do?
    As pinkflipflop rightly says, start with your LO, decide which activities might best help pupils achieve that LO and go on from there.
    Others might well give you some marvellous activity that worked for them - but that's certainly not going to tell an interviewing head whether or not you're up to the job, is it? It may well be that one placement isn't enough experience for you yet.

6. Middlemarch

*experienced

7. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Blummin' eck Middlemarch - poor girl!
    Yes you might not have enough experience yet to deliver a satisfactory lesson but it is worth a shot and is damn good experience, I think. Think about what skill you want to teach them and how you are going to deliver this skill, what activities they will enjoy that you can manage well, and how you are going to assess that they have learnt that skill. A fun assessment for learning game in the plenary is a good idea.
    Do you have a mentor you could discuss your lesson plan with?
    Have you considered your interview questions and how (in your limited experience) you are going to communicate your knowledge of teaching so far?
    Good luck!

8. Middlemarch

Which is what I said.

9. Thanks to those who have given advice.

I was rather panicked at the time by the scope of possibility - anything in Maths! I know how to work once I have come up with an LO but was worried about picking something they had covered very recently, not covered at all etc

This is of course a very new experience (interviews not so much, but def. the model lesson) and as it's half term and I couldn't reach any of my mentors I thought there would be some encouragement to be found on TES. No, I might not be experienced enough at this point - but the school know how much placement I've done and have invited me in - so why not give it my best shot??

I've since managed to speak to a teacher - have a topic - and I am currently sat planning out my lesson.

Bring it on!

10. Good on you OP, good luck with the interview. They are nerve-wracking and like you say, you have been invited in with them knowing full well what experience you have, so just go for it and try your best! Don't let annoying bullies who think they are offering advice but actually just are patronising idiots on this site try to get you down about it!! :)

11. Nobody is bullying at all.
    As an adult who is looking to secure a job at interview you should at least be able to come up with your own learning objective and some ideas about what you want to do.
    If you can't even do that, then you won't get very far at all.

12. Middlemarch

There's nothing patronising or bullying about explaining to educated, mature adults that using others' ideas is the best way to go about not getting the job.
    Another head on TES has recently interviewed for a new teacher and had 4 out of 6 applicants show up with the self-same lesson, taken from one of these 'Tell me what to do for my interview' threads.
    None of them got the job.
    Now, which would you rather - we give sound advice or pretend we're all 'supporting each other'?

13. My OP didn't ask anyone to give me a LO or tell me what to do.

I was merely seeking any suggestions, advice, encouragement from the lovely experienced teachers I'm sure there are here on the TES. I don't think it is wrong to feel a little nervous by the idea of your first interview? I posted this shortly after I found out ...

... I now have a lesson plan, a worksheet made and photocopied and I'm currently creating my IWB resources (and back up in case of technical failure!).

All original material.

14. No you didn't. You asked for advice and the advice was to think of an LO and then base your ideas around how the children will meet that LO.
    Why some seem to think that is bullying is beyond me!

15. I was simply suggesting that encouragement was clearly what the OP was looking for, as I have also looked on here for some only a few months ago, and the last thing people want is to be talked down to. It beggars belief that people on here can be so rude when all people are looking for is support.

16. Middlemarch

I think you need to check the definition of 'rude' - and similarly, 'support' does not mean 'only tell someone what they want to hear'.
    it beggars belief, in fact, that professional, educated adults are so naive and touchy. It's a hard, demanding job - feather-bedding people into it does them no favours at all.
    Now, which part of pointing out to a candidate for a job that they need to start with the learning objectives is not actually offering support? I rather think it is, having seen no end of people show up to do sample lessons with no learning objectives, merely a 'fun' activity which they think will 'wow' the panel.

17. I think you have just proven my point.

18. Middlemarch

That you have redefined the meaning of several words?
    Go on - explain how telling someone how best to sort themselves out for an interview lesson is not supportive.

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I think Joeylou84, that if you think anything that's been said here constitutes bullying behaviour, then you're going to have a bit of a shock when you actually come across a real bully.

Pink flip flop and Middlemarch have offered sound advice.
    The interview panel are looking to see if the OP has an idea of what the teacher might be covering at this point in y4, how to translate an LO into an engaging and productive lesson, whether they have a rapport with the children etc.

Last summer I sat through 4 of the exact same lessons when interviewing 6 teachers. They weren't similar, they were exactly the same. That showed me that the candidates hadn't really thought about what THEY wanted to teach, or how, more about what they thought would impress and wow, without too much effort on their part ( yes it had been suggested on this very forum). I had 2 jobs available and the 2 candidates who had their own, original ideas got the jobs. The advice might not be what anyone likes to hear, but it's sound and it's helpful .

Good luck with the interview, op.

20. Wow! This seems to have got a little out of hand...It always amazes me how teachers will 'handle' each other...we'd never speak to our class children in such a manner, yet its ok amongst adults?

I actually see both sides. Absolutely the advice given by the more experienced is true and valuable. The way it is offered is not constructive, i.e. "or are you expecting us to take pity on you...etc.etc." She only asked for a little support, not a lesson plan or for someone to turn up and do it for her? Would you honestly support a child asking for help in the same, cold and dismissive way?

By all means offer the same sound advice but surely you recognise how this comes across? Perhaps us NQT's are overly sensitive, but rather that than bitterly unsupportive. I know the type of teacher I want to be, to children and adults alike!