1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First ever interview for teaching job on Thursday.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jofox1, Nov 27, 2018.

1. jofox1

jofox1 New commenter

I started my PGCE in September with a SCITT. I have an interview on Thursday for job. It will be my first interview for a teaching post - any advice or tips would be very welcome!

vickigibbons likes this.
  2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Prepare thoroughly, making sure you have read everything very carefully, jot down in advance any questions you wish to ask (fine to have a notepad for this in the interview) and don’t be afraid to make the odd note regarding something important in the interview. Make sure at the end that you are absolutely clear about their timescale for appointing and how they will let you know (email, phone call etc.)
    Be calm, confident and enjoy! It’s a learning experience, whatever the outcome.
    Good luck!

3. splittinghairs

splittinghairs New commenter

It also always pays to do a little school research. The question I've been asked most often is why do I want to work at the school in question. Have a little look through the prospectus/school ethos/mission statement and see what genuinely speaks to you with that.

Also remember, you're interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. A bad feeling on interview day generally works out to be correct. Go with your gut!

Best of luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Theogriff ... used to blog here has some excellent ebooks on Amazon about teaching jobs and interviews. Check also Prospects.ac website for getting first teaching post and interview advice