1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First ever head of department interview- help!!!

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by foxys_folk_faced, Oct 23, 2012.

1. foxys_folk_faced

foxys_folk_faced New commenter

Hiya

I have my first ever head of department interview next week and they have asked me to prepare a 10 minute presentation on :

1) How I would improve standards and uptake in my subject.
    2) How i would contribute to working closely with the other subjects in the faculty.

Any tips on areas to focus on would be great! I seem to have a lot of ideas at the moment but not sure where to begin or how to structure it!

Also, if anyone has any example interview questions I would be very grateful!

Foxy

2. foxys_folk_faced

foxys_folk_faced New commenter

Hiya

I have my first ever head of department interview next week and they have asked me to prepare a 10 minute presentation on :

1) How I would improve standards and uptake in my subject.
    2) How i would contribute to working closely with the other subjects in the faculty.

Any tips on areas to focus on would be great! I seem to have a lot of ideas at the moment but not sure where to begin or how to structure it!

Also, if anyone has any example interview questions I would be very grateful!

Foxy

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

4. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I'd be thinking about enrichment for improving standards - identify specific things that could be done (Theatre-in-Education groups, exchanges,trips and visits etc) and talk about how they've improved learning for you in the past. I'd also be talking about ensuring teaching is of a high standard, working as a team to share good practice, revising the curriculum to make it more relevant...that kind of thing. If you can, read about the department in the school prospectus and read the Ofsted report so you can identify areas which have been considered not so great and talk about how you might go about improving them. Closer monitoring and tracking of underachievers could be something to talk about too.
    Cross-curricular links...ick. Mostly I like my department and no one else! Can't help with that one...sorry.

HNORTH likes this.
  5. 1, Ensure tracking and monitoring are securely in place-now OFSTED are looking at three levels of improvement make this part of your Strategic Development Plan-this could be a cross -curricular topic which every department could contribute to-this is defo a big thing which would be good for raising standards
    2. Ensure your department has a high profile in the school-after school clubs at KS3 and 4;revision opps for GCSE pupils,enrichment activities in the form of trips local and residential,maybe a project involving feeder primaries in transition. Have a parents evening for: Year 7 and a 'how to'';evening where you guide parents through some fun mini-lessons with their sons/daughters
    3. Monitoring your dept will be a biggie-so have a good idea of how you would do this- encouraging inter department observations; half termly submission of planners; collaborative(yey!)planning of SOWS;cross-marking of assessments at KS3 and CATS at KS4
    .Working with other subjects in the faculty could focus on:
    1. Enrichment/ drop down days where you collaborate(LOVE that word) on a cross-curricular topic and every subject contributes
    2. Literacy and Numeracy are always key topics so perhaps establishing and sharing good practice across the board-have an Open Door week in your faculty where everyone showcases how they address these two areas
    3.For teaching and learning pick a topic such as 'key words' and ask each subject to do a presentation on how they use these in lessons/planning/displays
    Good luck! Been a HOD for over 20 years and iuf you forget the politics and ******** about achieving 8 zillion A-C grades it is still fun!

sagpsh likes this.