1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First English lesson with Y10

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Hollie-Adams, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Oursisthenqt

Oursisthenqt New commenter

Hi guys,

I just got my timetable for September and whilst I am well-prepared for introductory lessons with Y7, 8 and possibly Y9, does anyone have any advice or ideas for Y10? I am obviously going to remind them of school rules and expectations and introduce myself but how can I get to know the students? They will be quite nervous, due to the school closures and it will be their first real intro into GCSE's.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I wouldn't bother with an introduction beyond, "I'm Ms. X, I'll be giving you homework on Mondays, and collecting it on Fridays." Then get on with teaching them, and get to know them as you teach them. There's a lot to get through for the lang and lit GCSEs.

Do not let on that you're new to teaching, because the lower sets can smell fear, and the ambitious students may become more anxious. Plus, it's not their business. Nothing about you is their business.

I'd say the best way of overcoming their nerves is just show them you know what you're taking about, and create 'normal' in your classroom. Don't assume they'll all be sweet and nervous - if you have a botton set, their ordinarily poor attitudes and behaviour may be much worse than usual after months away from normal lessons, in which case get support from your mentor.

For you, not the students, make sure you understand the GCSE exams. I put on my lesson PPTs why we're doing that thing, in that lesson - always relating it to the GCSEs, in order to drill it into them.

P.S. GCSEs doesn't require an apostrophe - better to hear it from me than a cocky Y7 on your first day!

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Just get going. This is what we're doing and why; go!

They potentially will spend all day hearing the rules - which they know better than you because they've been there longer. Just teach them. And take their books in on day one and mark them. Set the tone.

Oursisthenqt and minnie me like this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

If you can remember your own experience beginning GCSEs then tell then about that. It'll help them identify with you.

Oursisthenqt likes this.
  5. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

I would keep the rules and introduction short, your actions will speak louder than your words.
    Start straight away with the teaching and make sure that it is differentiated.

Best of luck.

Oursisthenqt likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No waffle . Be business like . They are more familiar with the school than you ? No need for cotton wool. Sure there will be plenty of reassuring assemblies !

Oursisthenqt likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No I don’t think you need to be their ‘mate ‘ . Also sure they will have worked out the teacher has been down a similar route ? Prioritising the teaching is key I think ?

sooooexcited likes this.
  8. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

Your department may have some things you need to go through but once you have done a brief introduction and quick run through of your first topic get started on teaching.

The only vital thing is to get them in a seating plan (boy / girl unless your school has a different policy) and stick to it for the first few weeks - ask your colleagues if there are any known characters that need separating

Oursisthenqt likes this.
  9. Oursisthenqt

Oursisthenqt New commenter

Thank you all for the advice! Seating plan has been something i have been thinking of - obviously don't have my class sheet yet but it is the first thing I want to do. Good point on getting stuck in, I've thought about it a bit more and have decided to do some context lessons based on the text they start after the two introduction lessons they have set us aside. Get stuck in!

Thank you :D

10. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

I think you should outline what you plan to do. Up to Christmas we will be working on X and your first assessment will be in week Y when you will be writing about W. Explain in very short terms how you plan to cover the next two years and emphasise to them that time is very short and work starts now.

11. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

Only a quick idea and possibly not a good one but maybe how do the poets want you to respond to the children in Roger McGough's 'First Day at School' and C Day Lewis' 'Walking Away'.(both available on the internet)..

12. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Long ago HoD English would hide under the desks when a new class (new to the school) arrived for their first lesson with him. They would eventually decide to enter the room and start to sit down, at which point he'd emerge from the desks, doing a passable imitation of an attack dog, growling, barking, snapping his jaws.
    Then he'd stop dead. Absolute silence. "Right, you have 30 minutes. Write about this."
    Not sure I'd recommend an eccentric approach these days.....

Angelil, steely1 and meggyd like this.
  13. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

We need more teachers like that. I once knew a very experienced and good teacher who was being observed by a fairly inexperienced Slt and they told him , he who had been teaching 35 + years, that he didn't do a starter and he talked too much. They said they would do a 15 min drop in to ensure he did these in future. When they dropped in they saw his starter on the board. Read in silence for 15 mins.

ScienceGuy likes this.