1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Deputy Head Interview!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by blue_lau, Mar 20, 2010.

1. blue_lau

blue_lau New commenter

Hi, I've got my first Deputy Head interview in just over a week! Does anyone who has been through the process have any advice that they can offer? What kind of interview questions were you asked? What sorts of tasks might be given on the day?
    All tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    :eek:)

2. Common sense preparation:
    Look at the job description / role again.....write notes on concrete examples of how you fit these roles / experience gained / areas that you would need further support, training and guidance?....Remember none of us are expert or experienced in all areas so that is realistic and reflective....
    Re-read your application.....Are there things 'skimmed' over? What would you ask if you were interviewing you? Have an answer for the questions you'd rather they didn't ask! Ask to read your references.....What is not so glowing?
    Look at the National Standards for Headship....How are you prepared to meet these or developing towards these? You are going to be 'DEPUTY' Head remember....
    Think about your strengths and weaknesses and have realistic ideas to address your 'weaknesses' / professional development needs.
    What are 'hot' topics that you should have a well-informed knowledge of?
    Ensure you do actually want to be part of that school? Do your homework i.e. local press etc....Don't just be 'flattered' by an interview or approach it as an ego / competitive / monetary gain event! People who do are often very unhappy once in post (be warned)!
    Above-all practice sticking to answering the question asked, not bluffing and staying calm....Can't do that then you will be a 'poor' choice and unsuccessful.....
    As for tasks etc and top tips, down to the school to sort and you to respond, after-all no-one gives me a crib sheet for each day or week....That's the role....everything and anything and using your 'wit and wisdom'!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting the interview!
    If you go to the JobSeekers Forum and open the Welcome thread, there are 2 clickables about interviews. They contain general information for all interviewees, plus specific information for different jobs. hope they are useful.
    Best of luck!

4. blue_lau

blue_lau New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Had the interview today! My feeling was that it went quite well, but alas I didn't get the position. In many ways, I'm actually glad I didn't. It made me realise how much I like my current school and on the day, I just didn't get the right 'vibe' when I was there.
    I just wanted to thank those who contributed to this thread - your help was really appreciated.
    PS - How would you answer this question?
    "With regards to every child matters, what areas do you feel are most important? Which would be most important to an OFSTED inspector if he or she was visiting the school?
    Thoughts? :eek:)

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I would argue that they are all equally important, but in the current climate ofsted would place most emphasis on staying safe.

6. Agree with 'curlygirl' as usual; 'being safe' is the starting point. It was a classic Deputy interview scenario....phone is going, the kitchen has no power one hour before lunch, Literacy co-ordinator is stressed as optional SATs papers are missing, Head off site at conference, oh and by the way child in tears outside your office who doesn't want to go home after school.......which one would you prioritise and why?? If you say anything other than the child in tears then you have missed the point.....