1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First day

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by nikkitan1, Nov 7, 2017.

1. nikkitan1

nikkitan1 New commenter

So excited, it's my first day of supply TA work tomorrow. If anybody is available can they let me know what to expect, going to get my lunch ready now but can't wait to be there

pepper5 likes this.
  2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

nikkitan, well done for getting the job! It's a bit late to say this, but try and arrive early so that you can meet the teacher and find out about the day before the children get there. Find out if children are to call you by your first name or Miss ...
    Listen carefully to the teacher and take your cues from her, especially re behaviour management. Smile and be friendly; support the children with tasks, but don't do it for them. Ask questions - 'Tell me how you got this answer?' 'What are you going to do next?' Very, very important - if you need to speak to a child when the teacher is talking, go over to them and use a quiet voice.
    Don't worry, no-one will expect you to know everything you need to do, this is day one! Enjoy it!

pepper5, nikkitan1 and 123Vanilla like this.
  3. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

Good advice from sunshine, I would add when you arrive in the morning ask the teacher if there’s anything specific you need to be aware about the children, ask if the teacher needs any help setting up the classroom in the morning. Smile and be friendly. When children come in welcome them, ask a few names and try and remember them. Introduce yourself and say you will be helping them with their learning today if they look unsure about why there’s a stranger in the classroom.

Find out when your lunch break is and if you are allowed to use the staff room (in most schools you are).

If you make a good impression the school may ask you back so try and impress you will get more calls in future.

pepper5 and nikkitan1 like this.
  4. nikkitan1

nikkitan1 New commenter

Thank you both so much for your help, better late than never! And can use it for my 2nd time there.

I was in the class with high needs, very exhausting but great to be thrown in the deep end to get a true feel of the place. Was able to remember the names of the children and staff which is amazing for me! All very welcoming and helpful, did feel a bit of a spare part but helped when I could, and hope that they will call me back all the lovely staff said they would sing my praises and said how well I had done.

I was about 5 mins late but called to say I would be and apologise, i underestimated the traffic.

Thanks again for the great advice, best wishes

pepper5 likes this.
  5. nikkitan1

nikkitan1 New commenter

Oh forgot to ask, don' know if you know but are they supposed to keep my DBS certificate?

6. olunchick

No they are not supposed to keep it, it’s yours. Usually they take a copy on your first visit at each school and they don’t need it again. The agency has a copy that can be faxed over if need be but they like to see originals at least once.

What part of the country are you in? Yes, try not to be late as remember agency staff try to fill the gap and be a solution to the school’s problem (missing staff) not add to it. My agency says generally if they phone before 8 they expect you to be on time, better slightly early than slightly late but I know sometimes you can’t predict traffic.

Well done on your first day, if you had positive feedback from staff I’m sure you did well.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. nikkitan1

nikkitan1 New commenter

Thanks. I'm hoping they meant it.

I know not a good move for the first day. I feel awful but worked out about 5 mins late but would have preferred to be 10 mins early!

Oh ok I will say to them that I need the certificate back, I wasn't sure because she never bought it back, I am based in Somerset.

I am supply direct for the school, they advertised for full time and supply and I was lucky enough to be selected and it fitted in with family. I was contacted yesterday and was able to arrange the kids for today.

8. olunchick

Oh I am not sure about the situation with the dbs certificate if you are supply direct and full time, I thought you’d be going from school to school. Did the school pay for dbs and apply on your behalf? If that’s the case I couldn’t be sure but I’ve never had my certificate kept by anyone, have about 8 of them by now.

I’m glad you enjoyed your day and I hope it goes well for you.

9. hs9981

hs9981 Occasional commenter

(then ask to see a list of the children's names and profile them)

If you want to really get off on a good foot, ask to see the teachers seating chart, which should have pupil premium info, EAL, SEN info ect...

Watch the warm smile drain from their face if they don't have one. ;)

Also, find out which other TA is the school gossip, and feed them misinformation.

nikkitan1 and pickles124 like this.
  10. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

I wouldnt advise to jump on any gossip bandwagon. Keep your head down and dont engage with that sort of thing. There is a difference having friendly conversation but dont get drawn into politics.

Your class should have an information folder which will show you childrens tracking data, targets, - that sort of thing but ask your teacher for a breakdown of the information.

You will probably contribute to display boards and creatimg resources too. Check the marking policy.

11. hs9981

hs9981 Occasional commenter

Tell the oldest TA your're sorry to hear that they're leaving at the end of next term. :p

12. nikkitan1

nikkitan1 New commenter

Thank you olunchick. Thank you all for the advice it was both informative and funny.:D I may stay on their good side for now as I have been asked back again for tomorrow all day.

Feel more nervous now than I did yesterday!

Re DBS- I can collect it tomorrow. School paid for it and I did the online sign up stuff but apparently it's mine to keep.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. sunshineneeded

That's great, nikkitan. You will be surprised at how quickly you pick up on class routines, children's names and characters. Have a good day!

14. nikkitan1

nikkitan1 New commenter

Thank you Sunshine. Also in three days next week now. :)

15. sunshineneeded

Brilliant! This will give you a real feel for the school and vice versa. Then, if a permanent job comes up, you will be in a really strong position to apply.

16. nikkitan1

nikkitan1 New commenter

Hope so. Thanks sunshine