1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by helen0301, Aug 19, 2017.

1. helen0301

helen0301 New commenter

hi guys :)
    I'm starting my new job as a level two teaching assistant in a few weeks time.

I was wondering what you would recommend taking with me on my first day (I am completely new to the job role).

I was also wondering what to expect.
    The first two days are inset days so i suspect they will be training us on how to use the equipment. Wednesday, Thursday Friday the children are back in. These days we've have been told they are about getting to know the class and not particularly about "lessons".

Any help would be great fully received.
    Thankyou.

2. efm

efm New commenter

Hi there, you don't say the age you will be working with but it is definitely about getting to know the children. However it is also letting the children get to know you in your role. Obviously you will be helping them settle into new routines which can be a positive shared experience for you both. I would perhaps simply have a notebook handy to jot down any useful observations and maybe questions. Hearing children read and talking about their reading is a great way to make initial links too but if you are allowed/ have time it is also useful to do some focused observation. Good luck and enjoy.

helen0301 and Teachallover like this.
  3. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

On the inset days, you will very likely do half a day's safeguarding training, and possibly some other sessions on policies etc. but TAs often spend less time in taught sessions and more time doing jobs either around the school or for their class teacher. You are likely to be given a list of things to laminate, photocopy or label at some point. Hopefully you will also get some time to discuss your role and the expectations of you with your class teacher and the SENCo.
    All you will need will be:
    Notebook and pen
    Lunch
    Water bottle
    List of questions
    Possibly a thin folder for storing handouts from sessions/other paperwork you may be given

Once the children start it will be at the teachers discretion what they want you to do so it's not really possible for people on here to help much with the in class stuff - it will vary a lot depending on the school. My advice would be to try and be proactive without disrupting or undermining the teacher e.g. don't sit and wait to be told what to do, find a child to help, notice where you could help out or approach the teacher and ask what they would like you to do next. Don't talk while the teacher is talking and don't sit and do nothing.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Agree it will depend on the school and even then indiivual teachers within any school.

Good sensible advice from alexanderrosman.

helen0301 and Teachallover like this.
  5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Excellent advice from alexanderrosman.
    Congratulations on your new job! The inset days will give you a chance to meet other staff. Get to know the TA team, they are likely to be a great support in your new role. Anything you don't understand or are not sure about - ask. Although we're all busy, most school staff are very happy to help, and don't worry if you forget something or feel you've asked the same question more than once - we've all been there! A notebook can be a lifesaver, you can jot down anything from class routines to how to do double sided photocopies.
    You should also have some time in the two days to get to know your class teacher. They will tell you everything they want you to do at first, but you will quickly pick up on things which need to be done at a certain time every day, eg changing reading books. If you can, try to arrive in the classroom ten minutes before the children come so that anything important can be passed on to you.
    Try not to worry, I'm sure you'll be fine. You will also find lots of practical advice in the Teaching Assistants forum here.
    Enjoy your first week!

6. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Also once term begins, it maybe that you are involved in taking a few duties or supervising during a 'Golden time' at certain times of the day or week. This is an ideal opportunity to build up relationships with the children outside the more formal classroom setting. Speak to the children and get to know their interests. The children will appreciate it and feel self-esteem.

7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Practical day to day stuff - my TA (for many years) has a large make-up bag full of 'stuff' she might need e.g. pencils/pens/glue stick/tippex/tissues/wet wipes and more. Everything is available in the classroom but she has it with her so she she doesn't have to interrupt her work with groups to get something. She gets teased about it being a make up bag (actually it's more like a toilet bag) but it red and spotty and works fine!

helen0301 and Lara mfl 05 like this.