1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First day with my first tutor group

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by snowfairies1, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Having finished my NQT year i am moving onto a new school in September. I didn't have a tutor group last year but am picking up a year 9 group. I've just found out that on the first day back I get them for 2 hours at the start of the day......and have no idea what to do with them!
    I think there will be a level of admin to carry out with them, though I'm not sure what. But I can imagine there will also be lots of dead time over those two hours and I'm after some activities to do.
    I don't know how structured their tutor time has been with their previous tutor or if they will be expecting to just catch up with eachother. The group is made up of 30 boys who should all know eachother well after 2 years together, so I don't think the usual ice breaker activites would be suitable.
    Thanks for all your help and ideas.

2. Hi all,
    Having finished my NQT year i am moving onto a new school in September. I didn't have a tutor group last year but am picking up a year 9 group. I've just found out that on the first day back I get them for 2 hours at the start of the day......and have no idea what to do with them!
    I think there will be a level of admin to carry out with them, though I'm not sure what. But I can imagine there will also be lots of dead time over those two hours and I'm after some activities to do.
    I don't know how structured their tutor time has been with their previous tutor or if they will be expecting to just catch up with eachother. The group is made up of 30 boys who should all know eachother well after 2 years together, so I don't think the usual ice breaker activites would be suitable.
    Thanks for all your help and ideas.

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm pretty sure that your HoY will give you guidance on the Inset day.
    You will have timetables to give out, planners etc. You will be expected to run through uniform and behaviour expectations and remind them of rewards and sanctions. Advise on assemly days, fire evacuation assembly points, which loos they use in y9 etc etc etc.
    If time, you can do some getting-to-know-ou stuff.
    Mind you, I never have enough time for 1st day stuff (and this year, being a y11 tutor I will get precisely 30 minutes as they are expected to know it all already!).

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

but they don't know you and you don't know them, so you can work towards that - even just getting their names might be good! How about taking a camera and getting them all to takes pix "for the tutor board" from which you can put names to faces?

5. As others have said, ensure the time you have with them is VERY structured, or 30x14 year old testosteroney boys could rapidly get out of hand.
    I have no idea if they will be expecting to just catch up with each other, but this should definitely not be on your agenda - they should do this at break time.
    Photo wall sounds good but ask the HoY about this as there could well be an issue with taking their photos (parental permission needed etc) - possibly something not to do on the first day? If your school uses SIMS you can click on 'class photo' and download their photos for yourself...learn them in advance and freak a few of them out by using their names without them telling you!
    good luck!

6. You might like to think about what you want to share about yourself to your group - being new they will be eager to find out things, so decide want you want to share with them - family, background, hobbies, what you did in the holiday etc

7. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I took on a Yr9 tutor group last year and I decided to be strict with then commune start (mainly due to the reputation of one of the class). You will need to make your expectations clear to them, about behaviour, uniform, punctuality etc. I did a getting to know you power point about me - 10 statements about me which they had to separate into statement as which were truthful and which weren't. This lead into my first set of tutorial acitivities which was getting each of them to speak about themselves for 5 minutes to help me get to know them.

8. Break_Duty

Break_Duty New commenter

I got this idea from a colleague last year - get them to make 'South Park' style pictures of themselves. Lots of coloured paper, draw round a cup for the body/face and off they go. It is a bit messy, but did keep my very lively form busy for a good 30mins, these then make a great display.
    There's lots of great advice above, I love having a form, and you are obviously going to do a great job - good luck!!