1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First day/week in Reception for an NQT

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by redwoodsgirl434497, Jul 9, 2019.

1. redwoodsgirl434497

redwoodsgirl434497 New commenter

Hi everyone

In September, I'm starting my NQT year teaching Reception in one of my PGCE placement schools. I'm thrilled to bits and enormously excited but increasingly nervous as I start considering how to settle the children in.

I wondered if anyone might be able to suggest a structure for the first day and the first week? And does anyone have a list of things I should be assessing children on in that first week or so? I am sure my own list is lacking some key skills.

Thanks so much

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Let them play and get to know them that way.
    Anna Ephgrave's 'Reception year in action' will give you some good ideas of what to expect and what you can do, even if you don't follow the philosophy.

You'll assess them informally as you go...who can play, manage toileting, share, leave a carer, etc
    Let parents come in to the room to settle them at first, if they haven't been to the school nursery.

redwoodsgirl434497 likes this.
  3. I am in exactly the same situation as you, very excited but waiting to start is making me nervous! Good luck :)

4. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

Absolutely agree. Let them play. Spend time playing along with them. Talk to them and get to know them. Introduce routines and things. We use the leuven scales to check in with how they are settling.

5. redwoodsgirl434497

redwoodsgirl434497 New commenter

You too. Eeek!