1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First day Relief

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Goldopals, Jan 30, 2012.

1. It was the start of a new school year in Oz and I moved to a new school (from 67 kids to 520). I was scared ****less. My old students took great fun in telling me how feral the new school was, but at the moment I am having an easier time controlling a class of 27 than 12. The kids said they liked me better than the old teacher, which was a nice change as at my old school I took over from a teacher who had taught all the kids parents.
    I like most of the kids. A lot of them are taller than me! I am what I consider average height (5'7") and they tower over me. They complimented my butt length (2 inches from sitting on) hair and talked positively about my school bus bag http://www.modcloth.com/shop/bigbags/play-it-school-shoulder-bag
    The bad points...
    <ol>[*]I forgot to introduce myself to THREE classes![*]There was not enought textbooks for all my year 11s. I had to give them damaged copies. I do not have a textbook for myself, which is not so much of an issue as I use e-copies.[*]There are two streams of Maths classes in one year. One has 30 or so and the other has 8! I did not have enough room in my class so one sat at the end of a row[*]One class (older than 15) was very disproportionate! Half knew nothing about timestables and fractions and the other half knew their timestables, but had only a very basic knowledge of fractions[*]The projector in my room does not work [​IMG][*]When I was writing on my whiteboard, the air conditioner was dripping on me! There was a lot of sniggering from students.[*]The air conditioner leaks, there is a huge wet patch on the carpet and puddles on the shelf</ol>I apologise for the boasting/whingeing post but I need to talk and have not really made friends in this town yet!

2. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Glad you had a better first day than you expected. For the last two issues you need to see the caretaker/site supervisor. Other than that don't be too complacent - classes are often 'nicer' at first while they suss you out. Give it a couple of weeks and they'll be pushing the boundaries.