1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First day of supply - wow

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by catherineell, Mar 4, 2019.

1. catherineell

catherineell New commenter

Today was my first day of supply in a school that requires improvement — wow.
    It was AWFUL the level of disrespect by a high % of the pupils was something else. I have left a perm post in FE mainly because of the behaviour of the students lack of interest, poor attendance and lack of support from SLT and failing mental health - but this was WORSE !! I would almost welcome the smell of dope in most lessons and parents disinterest because their kids are ‘adults’ and therefore no longer their problem. What has happened to education ? I was thinking of getting out of teaching permanently, I thought supply would allow me to do a job I once loved and walk away - 5 hours later instead, I find myself typing this with a glass of wine in hand on a Monday .... the only positive thing about today ? leaving the front line of teaching (yes like in the trenches) is absolutely the right decision.

2. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

Supply varies depending on where the agency sends you to. Keep going though as who knows, you might have a better day next time, a different school or nicer classes - hopefully all 3.
    Good luck for tomorrow.
    Check out the supply forum should you need a sympathetic shoulder. :)
    Pepper5's My Horrible Day thread is quite popular and always nice to read and say hello on.

JohnJCazorla and Mrsmumbles like this.
  3. catherineell

Thankfully I didn’t get a call this morning - so I will spend the day applying for non teaching jobs !

4. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Hi there, don't go on a bad experience, of one day, in one school!
    You need to experience other schools before making a final decision.

5. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Supply can be scary and takes a lot of resilience. Supply teachers are fair game for kids, In my school staff are used for cover (way too much) and I have even sent out a pupil from a lesson I covered who is in my form because he thought it was funny to play up in fornt of his friends. He wasn't so brave in form time the next morning but I'm telling you because it can happen with pupils who even know you if you're not their regular teacher. Give it more time and try to get something longer term where you can build up a bond with the pupils.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

I think someone on the supply forum said: "every face is a fiver". That's not a bad way to look at it!

7. catherineell

Well it was just a cover supervisor to test the water so in this case every face was worth about £1 gonna get back on the horse next week teaching my subject in a different school so see how that goes