1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First day of supply this year!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tasha72, Sep 7, 2011.

1. After 6 weeks 3 days off i got my first day of supply for this academic year booked in for friday!! can't wait as i have been super bored over the holiday. Last year i didn't get my first day until the 3rd week of term so I was quite surprised when I got called today.

Has anyone else had their first day of work this year yet?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations!
    [​IMG]

3. In 2010 - 11, my first day was not until late November.

4. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Did my first day today and booked for the rest of this week.

5. jj80

jj80 New commenter

outta curiosity, why did you get the booking..being so early in the school year? teacher on a course or planned illness?

6. I got 4 full days this week.

Really happy as I wasn't expecting anything until the end of September/early October!

Let us hope that we begin as we mean to go on.

And good luck to anybody waiting for work- keep ringing the agencies up and letting them know of your availability!

7. Nielle

Nielle New commenter

Good stuff! I've got one day next Tuesday so far. I really wasn't expecting anything just yet!

8. I got the second day back covering for a bereavement -they wanted to be in for the first day.

9. Strange....although I'm primary based...I've picked up some work in an FE college by approaching them direct.......just managed to secure 9.5hrs worked that will pay £250! Not bad methinks.....

10. Had my first day on monday to cover a bereavement until yesterday. Today covered a nursery PPA and tomorrow a reception PPA.

11. I have had no work this week, but I have 4 trial days in 2 different schools next week. One is a maternity cover and one is a long term sickness cover.
    Hopefully one of them will work out and I can get back to doing the job I love to do.
    :)

12. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

My work so far has been because of PPA and illness.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

First days back and sick teachers. Someone's smiling at you.

14. It is so great to hear positive comments about supply teaching - simply hearing that people have work so early on in the school year!...
    I'm very new to this supply teaching (infact, very new to the UK)...
    I was wondering what the supply teaching situation in London is like???....it is hard to gauge where people who have had success in getting a good level of supply teaching jobs are from just based on comments... is there a point in the term that I should be worried that I haven't had any supply work ??...

15. I am Secondary BTW ....

16. They must really be sick. Usually, the flaggers like to come back and have a quick pretend go at it, before slacking off beginning of Oct for the real sickies.