1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First day of supply ever this week - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ThinkPinkLauren, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I have just completed my NQT year in Scotland and unfortunately as in my council there are next to no jobs, I've been put on supply. The way this works is we have to call up twice a day begging for work and if you're lucky enough to call at the right time, you get a few scraps.

I have managed to get two hours tomorrow, and a full day Thursday and Friday. These are all in different schools an hour away with school roles of about 30, so multi composite classes. One school is for profound learning difficulties. I have had no experience with either of these, or indeed of supply in general!! I'm quite frankly terrified. I did my final Uni placement and probation year in an infant class, so very nervous about getting upper school.

Any tips on what I should take with me?? I'm clueless and desperate to impress!

Thanks,
    ~ Lauren :)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

First of all, calm down and stop panicking.
    Right, now possibly work will be set, so all you have to do is 'deliver it', keep discipline but most importantly enjoy yourself and being with the childrenthe rest will follow on from there.
    If work is not set, you can't understand the notes left by the teacher, can't find the materials etc, life is a little more complicated. So have a collection of activities you can adapt up or down. I have a 'Goldilock' idea for instance (look in resources under 'Supply idea based on Goldilocks' hopefully this is the link https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/supply-idea-based-on-Goldilocks-6053769/. I can usually adapt this across Reception to Year 6 depending on what I actually do with it.
    I have several other similar ideas, so I have a 'theme for the day' which goes across English, Maths, PSHE, PMFL,Music /Science if possible even Games if possible, to make my visit enjoyable for the children, but you need to make these up for yourself using your own talents.
    Best of luck, at least you have some work!

3. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

Congratulations and I am sure you will be fine! I only do day to day and unexpectedly got work today. Usually work doesn't come in until week 2 of September. I had a fantastic day and i am sure you will too. Enjoy!! xx

4. Just came across your supply ideas based on Goldilocks while browsing... Fantastic! Thank you! :)