1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First day of secondary, Ah!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by LostInBooks, Nov 29, 2019.

1. LostInBooks

LostInBooks New commenter

Well that title says it all.

I’ve just been asked to do a day in secondary as general cover and I’ve agreed because I’d like to get some experience. I’m primary trained and I know what to expect when I go into primary schools but it’s been a long time since my own secondary education and the last time I was in one it was as a TA on supply.

So my questions are these:

What can I expect as general cover?
    What are the marking expectations?
    Will I have a form group to register?

I know some of these will depend on the school but I’d love to hear some answers from all of you who have or are currently worked in secondary schools

2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

If you’re doing a day you don’t need to mark. Only on long term cover.

50/50 for register

All pupils seem to think Supply Teacher = unqualified Cover Supervisor. Behaviour depends very much on the school.

Year 7s can be a real nightmare (biggest change since I qualified 30 years ago). But some Year 4 - 6s can be like that.

Actually, a lot of behaviour can be really bad, but sometimes they’re alright.

Depending on mood bring a stack of spare pens and a whiteboard marker though latter should be provided. Make sure pens are cheap they tend to be destroyed.

If you’re being paid as a Supply Teacher rather than Cover attempt to teach. If paid as Cover don’t try to do too much other than set the work and try to keep them in the room.

Drinks, snacks and food are often (not always) available only if you have a fingerprint on a data system

Phones tend to be an issue in most schools.

Good luck.

You can leave 10 minutes after the kids - big bonus.

Nearly forgot - you may have to lug an unreliable laptop from one end of the school to another....

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  3. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Dont underestimate the power of the school's reward system- even with year 11. Try and utilise it when deserved.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. LostInBooks

Thanks for the tips. I am booked in as a teacher so I just hope it’s stuff I can actually teach.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Good luck. Meant to say bring flask and a packed lunch.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

You could be covering lessons in any subject; you won’t find out until the day. The work should, but might not, be suitable for the class. Be prepared for some silly behaviour as you will probably get some, and possibly some answering back. But you might also get a good school and have no problems.

You won’t have to do marking if just for one day. Most schools tend to avoid giving supplies tutor groups, but it’s not guaranteed.

I always found Year 7s were ok as they were still fairly new to the school and finding their feet (by now a few will be raising their profile). Years 10 and 11 seemed to be more focussed. The most problematic years were 8 and 9...that middle area between being new to the school (and biddable) and the serious time of GCSE work.

Good luck.

7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

How did you get on?

8. LostInBooks

Haven’t been yet, it’s on Friday. I just like to be prepared

9. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

All the best

10. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

Good luck LostInBooks

11. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

How did it go?

12. LostInBooks

It went really well, pretty easy to be honest for my first day. All the work was left, the staff were friendly and the kids just got on with it

agathamorse likes this.
  13. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

I suspect secondary teachers would have more concern as regards primary supply. I know I would.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - I would be very nervous at the idea of covering primary

agathamorse likes this.
  15. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Jolly good

agathamorse likes this.