1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First day as a supply... first day being paid for what i trained in!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by LJRS2019, Oct 2, 2019.

1. LJRS2019

LJRS2019 New commenter

I am so happy!
    Had my first day as a supply teacher for a challenging class in a challenging school but I kept my self together managed behaviour fairly well and got through their work set by the teacher - even confident enough to go slightly off topic and let them have some drama time (linked to their PHSCE) topic. I do need to manage transitions a bit better but it could have been worse.
    I was very disappointed to not get a job secured for September. I finished a term later than my cohort and I struggle with interviews (massive anxiety) and today reminded me why I am doing what I am doing. I love teaching so much, I love working with the children and nothing beats that pupil-teacher interaction.
    Recently I have been so tempted to just get a secure job in another industry but I need to focus on the bigger picture here. I have a wonderful opportunity. I am going to focus on working on my anxiety, develop my interview practice and hopefully I will secure a full time position to do my NQT.

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

I'm glad you had a good day. Doing supply in a challenging class in a challenging school usually puts people off teaching. If today has reminded you why you want to be a teacher, then getting your anxiety under control so that you can get yourself through interviews should lead onto you being able to start your new career and have your own class. Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.